Tropical Fish Forum . Net

Tropical Fish Forum . Net (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/index.php)
-   Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Spawning or Fighting??? (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=2244)

Sharon

Spawning or Fighting???

2 Attachment(s)
These two have been acting strangely for days. They shake at each other and the colour of both have been changing. Tonight they are circling and biting at each other...:confused:

Dano

Re: Spawning or Fighting???

I think you have two males challenging for dominance. Rainbows usually flutter close side by side over a brushy plant with the male cupping the female with his anal fin during spawning.

What is the white polka dot fish at the top of the second pic? I want it!!

Sharon

Oh well...I guess they have to "duke it out" then. The polka dot guy is a Leopard Ctenopoma. They came in a while back, for the first time, and I couldn't resist. I actually bought three, but two died. I read that if bought too small, they don't do well. These were very tiny. The little guy in the pic eats well, so I think he'll be OK.:)

Dano

I am familiar with the Climbing Perch and Leaffish, but I never saw one that white. I wonder if it will stay that color?

Sharon

Sometimes he looks brownish, but most times he's a vivid black and white. He's a cute little guy, and loves to stare at me through the glass.:rolleyes:

SueR

Yep they are both males & someone has to be in the male fish top spot. I have a multisquamatus male that was always the dominant untill about 3 months ago when I put a sentaniensis in the tank. They fight over the top spot & the right to spawn every day. They both claim the java moss as there own. They color up so nice when there at each other. I watch them every morrning going around in circles & chasing each other away from the moss.

Sharon

Thanks Sue...I wonder if my third is a female?

Dano

In most of the larger rainbow varieties, the females are more slender in the body were as the males tend to be deep chested.

jellygirl

Hi Sharon,

So now you know, although maybe your third is a female. The colours of the fish are beautiful. They certainly are growing and colouring up nicely.

This fighting and aggrevating each other, my pencil fish do exactly the same. They make me laugh. Very vivid colours of gold red and black with blue tips to their fins. They appear to fight over a particular top part of the tank. The females are nowhere to be seen, minding their own buisness doing something more interesting. The fish seem to fight it out, then go into their own corners and meet back in the middle to start all over again. For a time, I thought they were spawning too.

Who knows, perhaps you do have a female in there and that's what all the fuss is for.

Michelle

SueR

The females normaly have a shorter dorsal fin than the males do. The males dorsal fin over laps there soft dorsal fin just a little bit. Females are not as colorful as the males are & ther dorsal fins do not over lap each other. Do you have a pic you can post of the third one???