Tropical Fish Forum . Net

Tropical Fish Forum . Net (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/index.php)
-   Gouramis (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sparkling Gouramis! (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=1308)

Bernie

Sparkling Gouramis!

1 Attachment(s)
I had never seen these fish before in lfsís (most donít stock them or very rarely do because they are so tiny, they get overlooked & go unnoticed) so by chance, I saw these guys in a lfs, at first I didnít realise what they were, then thought they must be baby gouramis & then I saw the label - they were sparkling gouramis aka pygmy gouramis/pygmy croaking gouramis.

I instantly fell in love with them, even before I knew what they were, Ė They werenít much colour wise & I didnít really know what to expect in the way of colour, but I bought the lot Ė they only had the 4.

They are so cute, tiny (only grow to 1 inch) & they definitely live up to their name (Sparkling), as well as their normal beige colour with a brown strip in the middle & brown spots above it, & reddish brown edges on the fins, in the right light they have iridescent/metallic spots all over them (like blue rams) that can change between blue, green & yellow, even their feelers are a lovely metallic powder blue & there eyes are a beautiful emerald green/bluish colour. Sorry to ramble on but I didnít realise just how colourful they would turn out to be.

I actually heard them make the croaking sound, but more like a click, when they get excited/scarred/angry, not quite sure which. They are so adorable.

Here is a pic. but sorry for the poor quality & it doesnít do them any justice at all Ė my camera isnít good enough for taking clear pics. of fish.

NewGuy

Re: Sparkling Gouramis!

i wanted to get some for my 20g but they were expencive. $12 a peice!

Bernie

They were only $4.50 each, which I thought was quite cheap, but for them I wouldn't have cared how much they were (within reason of course). The German Blue Rams are $12 each here (sometimes a bit more, depending on which lfs it is).

Dano

Bernie.....Your pics are as good as any I have ever gotten. I hope the Sparkling gourami do well for you. I have never seen them here.

Sharon

They are lovely, Bernie!:) I've never seen them...I love the piece of driftwood in your tank!

Bernie

Thanks! I think I was very lucky to find them - I will be keeping an eye out in future for more, but yes! hardly any lfs's seem to stock them.

The tank at the lfs didn't have any decor in it & they are now going crazy playing in rocks/ artificial plants. Thanks Sharon, that driftwood is just a bonsai tree.

Thanks Dano!

geese

Bonsai tree. Is it real wood or fake. Either way it looks good man.

AquaticLove

Those are great little fish! And it's neat that they stay so small.

And I agree, the picture is just as good, if not better, than any I've been able to get of my fish :)

Bernie

Thanks Guys!! :) & geese, it's just a fake tree. thanks again.

kb46

Lovely Bernie, I would love to hear those little guys croak.:)
Your new stocking lists look great too.
Kylie