Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Air Pumps

Air Pumps Questions and comments about air pumps

Old ,

Default Bubble wands?

Does anyone have experience with these? Was thinking of getting one but I read a negative review, saying that the person thought they were useless. I think the bubbles would look kind of neat but I don't want to create problems in my tank.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Default Re: Bubble wands?

Basically they are long airstones and need a strong air pump, particularly if the tank is deep. Like airstones, they will eventually clog and loose effect and I don't think that they can be readily cleaned. If you like bubbles, why not get one.
Old ,

I used to use one in my 30 gallon. Like dano said: ''Basically they are long airstones and need a strong air pump, particularly if the tank is deep''

It is true. But they also help the fish breath alot easier.
Old ,

OK cool. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info!
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

It depends on what kind of bubbler you get ~ an airstone is usuaally a long green or blue bar and they tend to crumble and fall apart, so those I'd take a pass on. The bubble wand is different ~ it is a green or blue tube with a cap on one end and a port on the other for the airline and they are made of some kind of porous fiber type material that doesnt fall apart. you can also cut them if it's too long, or you can connect more then one for a longer effect. This type usually has suction cups so you can stick it right to the back of the tank. If you are getting one, get a strong airpump and then either a gang valve or a check valve, in case the power goes out, you dont want the airline to start a siphon and possible siphon all the water out of the tank onto the floor of your house ( Ive been there, its not fun! ) A check valve stops the water from coming back the wrong way, a gang vavle I like better becasue you can hook it right ovewr the back of the tank and add more airlines and stones later on if you want, and they also act as an anti siphon device. Also, dont put the bubbles under the filter intake or it sucks up the bubbles and doesnt filter properly. You can get other types of stones , like round disks or ball shaped for a small area in plants or something, but I prefer to put it at the back of the tank because it can actually help increase the water circulation. Good luck!

Old ,

Hrmmmm I've seen the ones made out of blue stone... thats what I thought they were called but maybe I need to check out the ones made out of plastic. It would drive me nuts digging out the blue stuff. I didn't know they fell apart...

I have some spare check valves and a gang valve - I'll definately use them.

Thanks for the heads-up. I teach middle school and I really think the kids would love seeing a bubble curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppleupagus View Post
It depends on what kind of bubbler you get ~ an airstone is usuaally a long green or blue bar and they tend to crumble and fall apart, so those I'd take a pass on. The bubble wand is different ~ it is a green or blue tube with a cap on one end and a port on the other for the airline and they are made of some kind of porous fiber type material that doesnt fall apart. you can also cut them if it's too long, or you can connect more then one for a longer effect. This type usually has suction cups so you can stick it right to the back of the tank. If you are getting one, get a strong airpump and then either a gang valve or a check valve, in case the power goes out, you dont want the airline to start a siphon and possible siphon all the water out of the tank onto the floor of your house ( Ive been there, its not fun! ) A check valve stops the water from coming back the wrong way, a gang vavle I like better becasue you can hook it right ovewr the back of the tank and add more airlines and stones later on if you want, and they also act as an anti siphon device. Also, dont put the bubbles under the filter intake or it sucks up the bubbles and doesnt filter properly. You can get other types of stones , like round disks or ball shaped for a small area in plants or something, but I prefer to put it at the back of the tank because it can actually help increase the water circulation. Good luck!
Old ,

I have a bubble wand in each of my tanks. They make a nice bubble curtain, and the blue or green ones (that are like small, filled tubes) can be added on to. Adhere with suction cups.

One of my plecos used to just rest up in the bubbles for hours at a time. I replace the wands every year and a half or so when they get cruddy. The only bubble wand I've had bad luck with is the Rena. The rubber grommets holding the thing on keep falling off. However, when they do work, there is a very fine (as in small bubbles) curtain.

40 gal breeder: 4 tiger barbs, 6 black ruby barbs, 2 aurelius barbs, red tail shark, clown loach, 4 cories, rubber nosed pleco, and a sailfin pleco (Rumsfeld)
29 gal: 6 rosy barbs (some home grown), 4 cherry barbs, 2 new dwarf neon rainbows, red tail shark, 7 cories, and a sailfin pleco (Karl- after Karl Rove), 2 otos
Eclipse 3: Clifford The Big Red Fish (betta)
Old ,

Rena wands... ok will check those out. Thanks for the tip