Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds

Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 AM

Wink Koi!

Is it okay to discuss pond fish here? I have been keeping tropicals for like 20 years now and I have become so enthralled lately with koi I built a 7,800 U.S. gallon pond in my yard and I wanted to pick some brains for information? I love this fresh water forum and since goldfish and koi are technically freshwater fish...

Last edited by Bernie : 03-11-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Koi?

Untill a forum for "pond discussion" is formed, This is as good a place as any to discuss Koi. I for one would love to hear about your pond and fish.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 AM

really!!! I don't think I have any koi left in it right now. I think a heron got them. That and my bio filter never kicked in before winter. I drained two thirds of the pond water two weeks ago (the water looked like pea soup) and I saw no signs of fish life. When I started my pond project I was told by an employee at the garden store that managing a pond is just like keeping an aquarium just out side. HA!! she should be horse whipped. I'm finding out that she was wrong. I found a wonderful ma and pop nursery which actually specializes in raising goldfish and koi about ten minutes past the bad nursery where i first went. I guess most of the problems in my pond was in the flow rate of my water through my filter box. to fast; bacteria never had a chance to colonize. So I slowed down my flow rate, diverted the water flow from the pump directly back to the pond, by passing the filter so of that 7500 gallons an hour being moved through my pump only about 700 gallon per hour flows through pea gravel and carbon in my filter box.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:54 AM

i got a 2000 gallon pond at home. I use a net that you can buy at any pond place ( protects from raccons and harons. For the water quality i would recomend buying water clearing bacteria (it works great). Just so you know koi produce 5 times more waste than goldfish. Do not feed them for 2 more weeks ( they are hibernating so if you feed them they will die). Start off with 6 goldfish and 3 koi. The koi will get 1foot in 2 years. ( i got all my koi 4 years ago never lost one and now they are 3 feet long ). Get alot of plant cover for the pond and hiding spots. How deep is your pond? Don buy big fish now. What is your ph?

Josh

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 AM

my pond is like 3.5 feet in the shallow and 5 feet in the deep part. I know that can seem shallow but I live in like an hour from Seattle, WA and it never really freezes here, in fact most pond owners here never turn off their pumps in the winter. This weekend I just planted in the pond like 6 water hawthorns, a lily, two species of Iris and some rush. Oh and I dropped four bunches of hornwart in the pond. all of my pond sides are verticle except for one wall of the pond has a ledge about 18 inches under water that juts out just far enough to set some fower pots.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 AM

oops, sorry Joshjoh, I didn't realize you were in victoria, bc. your like 4 hours from me (with out boarder crossing). we live in the same coastal rainforest!

Last edited by Bernie : 03-11-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Thread for Ponds, Pond fish...Goldfish

It's official, my pond is fish free right now, I think a local heron picked off the last of them...bummer. I guess the silver lining in losing my koi, is it caused me to re-evaluate my set-up and even though I have ample room for koi, and moderate filtration, I think I would rather keep fancy gold fish, specifically fantails, and orandas. The biggest challenge I face with fancy goldfish in my area, I think, is predation. Fancy goldfish are sitting ducks for heron, kingfishers, and raccoons. Short of netting my pond (I dislike what they do to the look of a pond) I think I want to get a scarecrow or two. The ones where a hose attaches to a "sprinkler" with a motion senser that sprays a jet of water at what ever approaches the pond.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 AM

ya i know what you are taking about ( some people have chicken wire and electrical fences around their ponds ).But after i lost my 2 foot koi i realy thought about it. But i found a black net that blends into my pond and you cant see it unless you are 1-2 feet away. I actouly made my own filter for 50 bucks ( but i had to buy a pump) it works great and the pond is crystel clear. Miller do you have some aquarium safe rocks that you can make a couple caves with for your fish so they can hide . Also i just did some work on my pond and upgraded it ot a 20000 gal pond ( big jump). Do you use bamboo in your pond ( i just bought 45 stems).

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 AM

Shouldn't there be a section for threads for this type of thing like goldfish and koi?

Anyways tomorrow if my dad and i don't have to unflood the basement again , i'm going to get 2-4 pond fish for my little pond. My mom bought these plants that grow by themselves (not like they don't do that or anything already ), really cool if you ask me. Once i clean the pond from some leaves and put the plants in and the fish, i'll take some pictures and post them up.

Also i have like 3 worms living in my pond that aren't too big. Is it ok to leave them in there for food? since i know that fish like worms, i was making sure if it was safe.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn