Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > DIY (Do It Yourself)

DIY (Do It Yourself) Provide ideas for building your own equipment, tanks and decorations

Old ,

Default Temporary Quarantine Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
The big heavy plastic storage boxes make great quarantine tanks if you don't want to invest in new tanks right away.

Great idea Dano. I could use a large plastic semi clear container that I use for cleaning tank decor.

Would a heater be safe in plastic? Just hook the filter up and go?
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Default Re: Temporary Quarantine Tank

If the heater wattage is low for small aquariums it should be ok as long as it doesnt contact the sides of the container. Heaters usually have suction cups to keep them still. As for filtration, I used home made sponge filters (air powered). They make some really nice sponge filters now days that are fairly cheap. A sponge filter that is aged with a good bacteria colony in it can be used to start new tanks and as a rescue from high ammonia in other tanks by just popping it into the tank to help over come the ammonia. Can you see the many uses for a quarantine tank with a sponge filter?? Every one should have one stuck in a corner some where.

When you make water changes , save the old water to fill your quarentine tank if the water isn't too bad. It will cycle the quarentine tank and filter very fast. Do not put gravel in a quarentine tank! A few small stones and a weighted plastic plant will give a fish a little security.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Temporary Quarantine Tank

I'm guessing the container I have I would put around 15g of water. The container could hold 20 at least no problem so I need a heater to heat 15g but It would be wise to buy a 20g heater to have to use when I do get a 20g or to have as a back up that would also fit in my 10g.

The sponge filter set up on an air pump. I will go to my LFS and see what they have to do this with and report back.

I want to try this for more then one reason. 1- I will learn how to set up an emergency Q tank. 2- I will have what I need on hand if something comes up. 3- I can add a few more fish safely to my established tanks, cheaper then buying a whole tank set up.

Thanks Dano for the idea! I have read about ppl doing this but it never came to mind for me to do it.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery