Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:45 AM

Question Re: Confused about reading test results

Hello,

Do you think that moving the bio-max from the old cycled filter will disrupt the cycle in the old tank? Would that mess things up for my goldfish when I put him in there?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Sorry if im making things too complicated.
It's alot of info to sort out.

Vanessa B.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Confused about reading test results

Yes it would I didn't catch that. I'm just full of mistakes lately!

What kind of media does the 3.5 goldie tank have in the filter? Is there any way you could transfer that to the 5 gallon, then transfer the 5 gallon media to the new 20 gallon? Even if the 3.5 is just a sponge or cartridge, cut out as much as you can and stick it in the filter or right under the filter. If not, take half the media from the 5 gallon for the new 20 gallon, and leave half for the goldfish. If you do this watch both aquariums carefully for ammonia and nitrite and do water changes as needed until they adjust.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:15 AM

Lightbulb Re: Confused about reading test results

Hey LittleHippyGirl!

I want to run an idea by you.

All of the media in my old filter is pre-packaged in the form of inserts. I have extra room in my old filter right now and I was thinking of putting a new Bio-max insert underneath the old one, and leaving it for a while to be seeded with BB. Then I could move 1 insert to the 20g and still have one left in there for my goldfish! The filter in the 3.5 tank is a cheap one that takes carbon cartriges that wont fit in my other filter, so I was wondering if this idea would work instead?

In one of your other postings you had mentioned a product called "Prime water conditioner". I was looking for it at the pet store, but all they have is "Aquaclear" which I already use. Do you know if It is available in Canada? Maybe there is a way that I can mail order it?

Good news! I found a pet store to take my flying fox, despite the fact that, they still claim that the flying fox and guppies should get along!!!
They exchanged him for 2 really pretty male guppies.
Talk to you later!
Vanessa B.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:48 AM

[quote=Vanessa B]Hey LittleHippyGirl!

I want to run an idea by you.

All of the media in my old filter is pre-packaged in the form of inserts. I have extra room in my old filter right now and I was thinking of putting a new Bio-max insert underneath the old one, and leaving it for a while to be seeded with BB. Then I could move 1 insert to the 20g and still have one left in there for my goldfish! The filter in the 3.5 tank is a cheap one that takes carbon cartriges that wont fit in my other filter, so I was wondering if this idea would work instead?
QUOTE]

Lol, could you say that again? You have two "old filters" that I'm thinking of and I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Oh I don't know if Prime is available in Canada...Its made by the company SeaChem. The only other water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite without interfering with the cycle is Amquel. Do you have that?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:48 AM

Post Re: Confused about reading test results

Sorry about the confusion I'll try to explain it better.

I have 3 filters and tanks running right now.

20 gallon- New tank and new filter.(No Fish)
-Outside style filter that takes inserts (model 30)
Discription of inserts: pre-measured mesh bags of filter media that come in different sizes, depending on the size of the filter.

5 gallon- Old tank and old filter.(Guppies+Corys)
- Same as new filter on the 20g, only smaller (model 20)

3.5 gallon- Old tank and old filter.(1 Goldfish)
- Small internal filter that takes a flat rectangular cartridge
which only has carbon inside of it.

We were talking about moving the Bio-Max from the 5 gallon to the 20 gallon. Then I asked if that would mess up the cycle on the 5 gallon which im planning on moving my goldfish to. You said that it would mess it up and asked me if the filter media from the 3.5 goldfish tank could be moved to the 5 gallon. Unfortunately it cant.

My Idea, was to add an extra mesh bag of bio-max to the filter on the 5g tank underneath the older mesh bag of bio-max. I was wondering if the new bag, will cycle itself, if it is put under the old, cycled bag. I could leave it there to cycle and then move one of the mesh bags to the 20g and leave the other one in the 5g for my gold fish. Im thinking of discarding the filter from the 3.5g because it's in bad shape.

I hope I did a better job of describing things. Let me know.
Thanks for your help and patience.

Vanessa B.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:43 AM

Much clearer, thank you

I think that's a good plan. Leave the new bio-max under the old biomax in the 5 gallon filter for 2-3 weeks and it will be perfectly cycled if all goes well. After that, you are free to move fish and media about and not worry too much about ammonia
Old 08-20-2006, 02:39 AM

Smile Re: Confused about reading test results

THANKS A MILLION LITTLEHIPPYGIRL!!!!!!!

IT SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!

I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

VANESSA B.

PS: I put some new questions on the general freshwater chat.