Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 PM

Default glass canopy for 75 gallon tank w/o center support

Im searching for a glass canopy for my 75 gallon tank, but all the ones I've found online specify that they require a center brace, most likely for support?

My tank does NOT have a center brace.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how I can get a canopy to work around the lack of a center brace?

My husband suggested making one out of plexiglass, but I'm wondering if that will sag in the middle.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Re: glass canopy for 75 gallon tank w/o center support

Is the 75gal tank you bought a new one? What are the length, width, and height dimensions? All the standard 75s I've seen had a glass or plastic center brace.................
Old 07-05-2008, 03:46 PM

This tank is 3 years old. It is 48" long, 18" wide and 21" high.

There is no center brace.

I only want a glass canopy for the top, as I have enough lights that I don't need to purchase a full hood set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Is the 75gal tank you bought a new one? What are the length, width, and height dimensions? All the standard 75s I've seen had a glass or plastic center brace.................
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 07-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Same dimensions as my two 75s that have center bracing. Do you think that someone might have removed or broke the brace? The braces are to keep the glass from bowing. I guess that some 75s might not need the braces if the glass is extra thick.

Go to a glass shop and have a peice cut to fit that is thick enough not to bow. You will have to allow for the filter, heater, ect. You will need a notch in front to feed thru or get it cut in strips and hinge the front piece. Have fun
Old 07-06-2008, 01:38 AM

There is no evidence on the frame to show break, cutting or filing.

I will try the glass shop and see what they say, thanks. Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Same dimensions as my two 75s that have center bracing. Do you think that someone might have removed or broke the brace? The braces are to keep the glass from bowing. I guess that some 75s might not need the braces if the glass is extra thick.

Go to a glass shop and have a peice cut to fit that is thick enough not to bow. You will have to allow for the filter, heater, ect. You will need a notch in front to feed thru or get it cut in strips and hinge the front piece. Have fun