Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Gravel and Decorations

Gravel and Decorations Questions and comments about gravel and decorations

Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 AM

Default Driftwood

I live near the beach and came across an awesome twisted and gnarled tree branch that had been washed up. I grabbed it thinking it will look good in my tank. Besides the branches on it, it is really thick and i am thinking of making some holes in it so the fish can swim thru it.

I havent put it in yet mainly due to concerns about how the salt water that it has absorbed and its effects on my fish. At the moment it is outside getting some sun and rain on it (hoping that will help.)

Any thoughts about this? Good idea or bad?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Driftwood

A good soaking in fresh water will dilute the salt. You will be able to tell if it floats also.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:29 AM

Put it in a water vase and change the water every day. I guess a week would be good enough. Im very intrige with this so please keep us posted. I wonder were I can find one my self... heheheh I think the color will look awesome. Good luck!

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old 06-28-2008, 12:17 PM

This is good to know; I acquired some driftwood and have no idea what tank it originally came from. One piece has a slightly whitish cast to it so I'm thinking it might have been in salt... so I now know what to do with it... thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuelpr View Post
Put it in a water vase and change the water every day. I guess a week would be good enough. Im very intrige with this so please keep us posted. I wonder were I can find one my self... heheheh I think the color will look awesome. Good luck!
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 06-28-2008, 12:27 PM

I read on another forum that it was not a good idea to use driftwood, that had been in salt water. Ummm...Would soaking remove or dilute the salt content enough to make it safe....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 06-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
I read on another forum that it was not a good idea to use driftwood, that had been in salt water. Ummm...Would soaking remove or dilute the salt content enough to make it safe....

This is what I am worried about too - it looks awesome to be sure but rather it lok awesome outside of the tank than in the tank with floating fish around it. I measured it too and it is too long and too wide so I have to hack it a touch to make it fit. Is there a way to test the salt content?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:59 PM

Soak it a while, then taste the water. If the water tastes salty, dump the water and add new water, then repeat the process until the water doesn't taste salty. OR you can take a sample to a LFS that has one of those refractor meters that measures salinity. I don't think that a cheap hydrometer would be accurate enough to read low concentrations of salt. I have a very accurate one, but it is hard to get readings below 1.0ppm. This is one of the reasons why I advise people to be very careful when using salt in an aquarium. It doesnt go away unless you remove water and add salt free water. To begin with, you have no idea how much salt is present in your tap water unless it is accurately tested.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 AM

Is the tasting method accurate? Just soak it for 2 weeks and change water daily. After that check the salinity of the water. Wish you luck.

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 PM

one way i have done it is to soak it in bleach water. for 3 days and then rinse it vary well and then soak it in tap water for 3 days and they add it.

29 Gal: Breeding Pair Of Perlscale Marble Angelfish, 1 Gold Gourami, Breeding Pair Of Pepper Corys, 1 Mollie, 2 Plattys , 1 Oto and 1 Kulhi Loach.

25 Gal: 3 Sasra Commets.

8 Gallon heated Vase: 1 Beat-up Red Fringetail Betta.

3 Gallon Vase( i am getting a bigger on this weekand): 1 Lavender female betta.