Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Heaters???

What kind do you guys use??? What would you recomend??? I have a 120, I run 2 heaters. I'm so tired of buying what I think is a good heater. Do they make one that when you set the temp on it it stays at that temp?? Seams like I set it at 76 & 8 months to a year or so later I have to reajust, & reajust till I give & go buy another one. I just want a GOOD heater. How long do heaters last anyway???
4-Bosemani
4-Splendida sp
4-P ivantsoffi-blue eye
2-Lacustris
1-G multisquamatus
1-Parkensoni
2-Diamond 2-Sepae Tetra
1-Buenos Aires Tetra
1-Blue Tetra 3-Brissel Nose Pleco 2-Kamaka 2-Duboulayi 1-Chilatherian sentaniensis 2-Glossolepis 1-ramuensis 1-marci 4-Celebes 2-Parva 2-Dorityi 2-Bleheri 30-cherry shrimp & some snails
Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Heaters???

i use a rena smartheater that hooks onto my rena smartfilter. but i also use regular top fin heater. I also have a heater that is 7 years old and still running.

29 Gal: Breeding Pair Of Perlscale Marble Angelfish, 1 Gold Gourami, Breeding Pair Of Pepper Corys, 1 Mollie, 2 Plattys , 1 Oto and 1 Kulhi Loach.

25 Gal: 3 Sasra Commets.

8 Gallon heated Vase: 1 Beat-up Red Fringetail Betta.

3 Gallon Vase( i am getting a bigger on this weekand): 1 Lavender female betta.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 AM

How often do you have to reajust the temp on them? Do you know what brand the 7 year old heater is???? That's the brand I want. I know I've never had a heater go 7 years. 3 or 4 years at most.
4-Bosemani
4-Splendida sp
4-P ivantsoffi-blue eye
2-Lacustris
1-G multisquamatus
1-Parkensoni
2-Diamond 2-Sepae Tetra
1-Buenos Aires Tetra
1-Blue Tetra 3-Brissel Nose Pleco 2-Kamaka 2-Duboulayi 1-Chilatherian sentaniensis 2-Glossolepis 1-ramuensis 1-marci 4-Celebes 2-Parva 2-Dorityi 2-Bleheri 30-cherry shrimp & some snails
Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 AM

The Cheepo Kind ( topfin you can buy from petsmart)

29 Gal: Breeding Pair Of Perlscale Marble Angelfish, 1 Gold Gourami, Breeding Pair Of Pepper Corys, 1 Mollie, 2 Plattys , 1 Oto and 1 Kulhi Loach.

25 Gal: 3 Sasra Commets.

8 Gallon heated Vase: 1 Beat-up Red Fringetail Betta.

3 Gallon Vase( i am getting a bigger on this weekand): 1 Lavender female betta.

Last edited by Josh : 07-16-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 AM

I have three heated tanks and use visi-stealth submersible heaters.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 07-16-2008, 12:29 PM

I use Visi-Therm and have had NO problems whatsoever. I set them and forget them. I use those in all my tanks. They are so accurate! Love em'! One of mine is over 15 years old and still works like the day I bought it.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

I use the "Aqua One" glass fully submersible heaters in my tanks, they are the only heaters I have every used and find them very reliable. I was limited with the choice of heater to get because that brand is the only one that was available. You many find that some heaters do have to be adjusted during summer or winter.

If you have big fish like Discus or Oscars etc. (which you don't obviously Sue) I would recommend the stainless steel heaters..The glass ones could eventually break if the fish keep bumping into them.

Last edited by Bernie : 07-17-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 AM

Thanks for all the info on your heaters guys I'm off to have a look. Hopefully I'll get 2 that will work the way there suppose to. I always buy the submersable ones. I just like them better. I have written down all that you guys have listed & will look at all of them. Thanks again all for the help & the info.
4-Bosemani
4-Splendida sp
4-P ivantsoffi-blue eye
2-Lacustris
1-G multisquamatus
1-Parkensoni
2-Diamond 2-Sepae Tetra
1-Buenos Aires Tetra