Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Default Lighting question

If anyone has experience with these strips or knows anything about them, I would really appreciate some help -- I'm totally lost on lighting...

I priced a triple strip 48" fluorescent light fixture at my LFS but they only had a double strip fixture and the price is $96.

So I went online to PetSmart -- ten percent off this weekend and free shipping...
but I'm confused on the lights... are the T-5s really that much more energy efficient? Do they get really hot? Do they have fans? Also, which light strip works best with a top-open flip-up wooden top?

I'd be fine going with an ordinary double strip if there isn't that great a difference. I didn't have fantastic lighting in my small tank but I'd like something halfway decent for this large tank we are working on so that we can have some nicer plants.

I'm considering going with a new Hagen Glo double T-5 HO fixture $160 -- see THIS link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3060839

but they also have THIS triple T-8 tube fixture for $96:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754545

or I could get this ordinary fluorescent double strip for $35
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754543
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory

Last edited by Greensleeves : 08-01-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: brevity
Old 08-02-2008, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Lighting question

The T5 puts out a lot of light and would be good for live plants. The T8 and T10 units are similar but are bulkier. The flourescent lights would be ok, but at a minimum level for plants and also less heat than the T5s.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Lighting question

Less bulky is better!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
The T5 puts out a lot of light and would be good for live plants. The T8 and T10 units are similar but are bulkier. The flourescent lights would be ok, but at a minimum level for plants and also less heat than the T5s.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory