Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Odd Balls , Puffers, Sharks and Predators

Odd Balls , Puffers, Sharks and Predators Questions and comments about odd balls, puffers, sharks and predators.

Old ,

Default 2 new black sharks

bad, bad me.. i went to the the lfs , looking for snails for the tank with the baby danios, and decided to buy 2 new sharks a red tail and a rainbow, since we decided to to leave bruce and jaws in the bedroom tank..
2 black tail sharks caught my attention( to be honest, 3 did but i left the 3rd there)..well in a spur of the moment decision i buy them, not knowing they get sooo big..pretty lil things, playful, and love the bubbles and caves..they are now named Chum and Chopper

anyone know much about these.. i have read they get big, arent aggressive but to those of its kind when they get bigger..dont get sick easy, and adapt to most water temps..

anyhting else i should know?
Old ,

Default Re: 2 new black sharks

Are they Black sharks or red tailed black sharks?

If they are black sharks I don't envy you in the future, they get huge.

I did the same thing when I first started fishkeeping I had 4 Iridescent sharks in a 10 gal
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

I really think LFS should have info tags on the tanks- like laminated index cards with high quality font with the compatability, max growth size and tank size for fish.

Irridescent sharks are so darn cool looking (IMO) and I have known quite a few people who bought them for 10 gallon tanks and the fish store people just LET them.

I would love to have them in my 75 gallon but I think they would even outgrow that...

good luck with yours though please post pics so we can envy you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesquipedalianis View Post
bad, bad me.. i went to the the lfs , looking for snails for the tank with the baby danios, and decided to buy 2 new sharks a red tail and a rainbow, since we decided to to leave bruce and jaws in the bedroom tank..
2 black tail sharks caught my attention( to be honest, 3 did but i left the 3rd there)..well in a spur of the moment decision i buy them, not knowing they get sooo big..pretty lil things, playful, and love the bubbles and caves..they are now named Chum and Chopper

anyone know much about these.. i have read they get big, arent aggressive but to those of its kind when they get bigger..dont get sick easy, and adapt to most water temps..

anyhting else i should know?
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

If the Black Sharks are the type of black shark I am familiar with, they will squabble and they do get big fairly fast. I had one that lived ten years and was a foot long and sometimes they get even bigger. The Red Tail Black and the Rainbow are probably going to squabble. Red Tails like to play chase games with other fish. They have no teeth and cause little damage other than stressing the fish they pick on. Sometimes a Red Tail can be a docile curious fish with personality and on occasion do a short chase game. I got lucky with the one I kept, but gave a smaller one away because it was a hellion. Two Red Tails in the same tank can be trouble.
Old ,
ferret

I was going to get 2 rainbows for my planted 4 footer but Don (LFS owner) said they become very terretorial in their "teenage" (about 7 cm) stage and they would kill my neons.

dunno if this is relevant tho.

Hope it helps.
Old ,

wow thanks for all the info..

i have a red tail in my bedroom 55 gallon, he is quite large about 4 inches, we call him Jaws.. and a rainbow, named Bruce.. as of now all is fine with them,bruce is smaller then jaws, so maybe he avoids him, i hardly ever see them in the same area of the tank.only thing my red tail doesnt get along with is the skunk botias..bruce like to sneak in with the kribs now and again and hide in thier plants.. luckly they dont mind

guess i need to add some more caves and hiding spots for the black sharks.. they seem to really like each other,, they hoover in the cave i ahve together and stay together alot.. they chase each other but it doesnt look like aggressive chaseing..more like the what the danios do..

they are in a 55 gallon so hopefully we have some time with them.. taylor was very impressed with them..but what boy who is a JAWS fanatic would be with anything labeled Shark!!!