Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

Old 09-22-2006, 07:54 PM

Unhappy Sick betta - Ich or Fin Rot??

I have a crowntail betta with an algae eater in a filtered and heated 5 gallon tank. In the last couple of days, my betta has been showing signs of ich, so I added some aquarium salt and increased the water temp a little. The little white granules are mostly gone from his body, but now the "spikes" at the ends of his fins are starting to curl up and look ragged, and one of them has a kind of slimy film on it. Has this turned into fin rot?? What can I do?? Help!

PS: I don't think it's water quality - I do a 10% water change every two weeks and there is not usually any wasted food left in the tank.

Last edited by Gillian : 09-22-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Sick betta - Ich or Fin Rot??

UPDATE - On closer inspection, I'm almost 100% sure this is now fin rot plus ich. The webbing of his pectoral fins is starting to disintegrate! I just did a water change in the tank about 4 days ago. I don't really have a hospital tank, but I do have a large fish bowl and a means of heating it... should I move him to some fresh water or will this be too much stress?? Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:20 AM

Hey Gillian,

Its very possible for a betta to have ich and finrot at the same time. It sounds like the finrot could have occured as a secondary infection do to stress of the ich.

First of all...what kind of algae eater do you have? Many types don't tolerate salt very well. How's that guy acting?

What % is your salinity at right now? Salt usually cures finrot, but not all types. I'd keep the salinity at .3% until 3-4 days after the last spot of ich is gone. If the fins continue to worsen despite the salt, try an anti-bacterial medication. Read the back warnings and see what it says about bottom dwellers and your nitrogen cycle. If it harms either, you might want to move your betta and his ornaments to the bowl or a bucket to treat him.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

I have a sailfin pleco, and he seems fine with the salt, but I'm watching him closely to see if his behaviour changes (and also for signs of ich).

Fancy Pants seems to be doing a little better today, but is still very sulky, lying on the ricks a lot, etc. But more of the ich spots are gone and the fin rot seems be slowing down. He still looks quite tattered!! I can't believe how much his condition changed in a matter of four days, from very active with fins pretty and spread, to very tired with fins clamped.

How do I check the salinity percentage? And should I do an another water change when it looks like all ich spots are gone and the fin rot has stopped? Thanks so much for the help!
Old 09-24-2006, 12:57 AM

M'kay, just watch your pleco carefully.

Did you measure how much salt you put in? Without knowing exactly how much you added you can not determine the salinity, and you won't know if the ich or finrot is completely eradicated if you add too little. If you add too much, both of your fish could get sick(er).

I check the salinity of the water by math. I would do a 100% waterchange and start over with the salt. Add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon, predissolved in water (this is .1% salinity). If you think that's about how much you had before, add another dissolved teaspoon per gallon and you will be at .2%. If you feel like you added less than 1 teaspoon per gallon before, wait 24 hours before bringing it up to .2%. The next day add one more dissolved teaspoon per gallon and you will be at .3%, the correct salinity to kill ich. Finrot is usually killed around .2%, but we'll go to .3% because of the ich.

Poor guy...I hope he's doing alright. Is he still eating?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:16 PM

Good news: Pleco is doing great, and betta is getting better!! As far as salinity goes, I was probably close to .3%. When I first set up the tank about 4 motnhs ago, I put in about 1 tablespoon because I've read that a little aquarium salt is good for fish as a general preventative. Whenever I do a water change, I add the proportionate amount of salt to the tank. Since I started noticing the ich, I added one tablespoon of salt once a day for three days, and then stopped because I was worried I was putting in too much (and also worrying about the pleco since you mentioned they didn't like salt very much).

I bought an antibacterial remedy specifically made for bettas with fin rot and other bacterial infections (BettaFix Remedy by Splendid Betta) which is "all natural" and has tea tree ingredients. I started using it on Saturday and there was almost immediate improvement. I think his fins are even starting to grow back!! He's more active and aggressively eating again (he never stopped eating, but he wasn't as energetic about it). Thanks so much for the help!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:16 PM

That is great news! I'm glad he's getting better. With bacterial fin rot, the infection will pause for a while and not get worse before it starts to heal. The first visual sign of healing fins is a clearish yellow tissue on the edges of the fin. Is he perking up?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:50 PM

Yes, he's perked up a lot now! He is as active as before and is even building bubble nests again! Each morning when I get up I can see a noticeable difference in fin regrowth, so he's going to be just fine. He just looks like he got a bit of a haircut. And the salt and antibacterial medication didn't seem to affect the pleco at all.

SO FOR ANYONE WHOSE BETTA HAS ICH OR FIN ROT:
  1. If he has ich, play close attention because it can quickly turn in to fin rot.
  2. Make note of the salinity levels talked about in this thread and how they are used to heal and prevent ich and fin rot (and how it may affect other tank mates).
  3. Get yourself some BettaFix Remedy by Splendid Betta (about $3 at Walmart).
Thanks so much for the help LittleHippyGirl!! Hope your bettas are doing well!

Last edited by Gillian : 09-28-2006 at 02:45 PM.