Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 PM

Default bumping up temps??

i have noticed my tanks temps arent getting as high as i like, and as high as they used to..

i like keeping my parrot tank 79-81..lately i notice its staying around 76-78.had thermometer set at 80. i bumped the thermometer up to 82 and its staying the same..i dont wanna cook my fish by bumping it too much..

my krib tank is hanging around 72..i ahve 2 heaters on it that are for a 55 gallon.the lights dont stay on constantly, and they are maxed out on the temp setting which should be 78.

im sure keeping my house in the mid to high 60s is a cause of this??
can i add a heater thats for a bigger size tank to these tanks and get my temps up??

both of these tanks are 55 gallons.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:29 PM

Default Re: bumping up temps??

What brand heater do you use? IMO Perhaps your heaters are wearing out? Damn I can't read the setting on my 55g tank heater. I haven't had any problems with it holding the temp I have it set at for the last almost year. I have not tried to keep my temps as high as you in my 55g. I keep mine 77 for my puffers. I will be replacing it soon because it's glass. I'll keep it for a back up. I would try a different brand if I were you. I think you can go up one higher as I had no problems putting my 10g heater into a 2.5 tank. IMO One heater the right size should be doing the job though.

I recently purchased a stealth heater that has done well in my 10g and 2.5g I thought it would over heat my 2.5 tank. The temp was very very precise. It always keeps the temp of the water what I have it set at. One thing I don't like about the stealth is it does not have an indicator light when the heater switches on .

I have a heater that is doing the same thing as yours right now in my other 10g tank. I can't remember the brand right now. I need to replace it and save it for an emergency in case one of the other heaters goes out completely.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery

Last edited by StormySkiez : 10-19-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:58 PM

im not sure on the brands, the 2 in my krib tank were walmart heaters. newest one is only 2 months old,oldest one i have had for years..one in my parrot tank is a nice one that has a dial setting,and is only 6months old.
how long should they last.

i bought one for my living room 55 gallon, its a 40 gallon heater, and that lil puppy works. when i put it up i had to watch( no temp dial) not to over heat the water..guess i will go by more like that one,since house is being kept cooler with windows open..dont want water to drop below 70.think thats why my kribs arent doing anything..when water was in high 70's females stayed in spawning mode, now since temps dropped, new females wont even go into spawning mode.parrots arent as colorful either since temps arent 80.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 PM

This should help you decide what size heater you need for the tank and room temperature difference.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/ti...heatersize.htm
Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 AM

thanks , that really helps!!!gona have to go shopping tommorrow...shhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont tell keith!!!!!