Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Invertebrates

Invertebrates Questions and comments about invertebrates.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM

Default QT for Nerita and Shrimp; Questions

I have Olive Nerita Snails in QT right now. I have some cherry and amano shrimp on order that will go into QT with the snails. They will be going into my 20g live plant tank.

Questions:
What do sick snails and shrimp look like! Do they have signs of carrying disease or being ill? Or do I wait and see what lives and what dies? Is two weeks long enough? Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Re: QT for Nerita and Shrimp; Questions

I don't know what you have researched. Try this http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/cherry_shrimp.shtml
Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM

I have cherry shrimps and to tell you the truth I would not know if they were ill or one was missing. They have had a pretty rough ride with me as they came as an additional extra with a couple of secondhand tanks I purchased.

They have had lots of bad water conditions including very very high KH & GH. I have tried saving many of them from the 120 litre tank incase they got eaten by the clowns which I was going to keep in that tank. As it turns out they have been moved a couple of times and they last hitched a ride on a filter which I put back into their tank and now I have another breeding colony of red shrimps in their original tank. I must say the clown is leaving them well alone, but have seen three very large egg laidened females. I think that the loach will probably make a feast of the babies. But I cant save the world, even if they do look very pretty. Is this any worse than feeding fish live fry? I like to think not.

So I am thinking that they are hardier than I first thought, and getting back to your original question - I would not notice a sick one, but then again i'm no expert.

jellygirl
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 PM

All I found was basic care info Dano in that link. I got that. TY.

I'm wondering what to look for during QT. I have heard of shrimp carrying worms so I will watch for that. Snails I have read can carry disease but no info on what to look for on that other then apple snail so far. I was hoping someone with experience would save me hours of reading through various links.

http://www.applesnail.net/

jellygirl how many cherries do you think you have? I might be obsessed. I count all my creatures. When I do a shrimp count if one is missing I make sure I find it sooner or later. If I ever have to many to count I guess I'll stop.

My best guess at this point is if they die or look ill they are not healthy. I will read some more....
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 AM

I guess any living thing can have worms. I have never heard that it is a problem with the shrimp. Snails would be your biggest carrier of vermin. Shrimp can get bacterial and fungal disease. Most meds will kill shrimp. Good water quality is the best prevention of disease, The various articles on shrimp will give you the optimum levels to try to maintain for the various shrimp. Mine reproduced in soft neutral water in the mid 70*F range.