Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Shop Lights

Sharon, I have a Vallisneria and it had a baby about three inches from the main plant, I am trying to start the baby in one of my other tanks, but if you can't find it I can see how to ship one to you if you would like once I get another baby started (they send a runner out and start the new plant off of the runner.

Or you could go to liveaquaria.com and order one (although the shipping is high so you would want to order enough plants to make it worth your while). The variety I have is "Jungle Vallisneria" which has straight leaves and grows upwards of 20 inches tall. Here is a link to a pack of six plants for $10.50 plus shipping
http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG...cd2=1226427269

Dave
Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Some think that blue lighting will encourage algae growth, but in my experience, it is debatable. The blue lighting sure adds a very pleasant effect to the tank, but it doesn't do much with respect to plant growth.

I must admit that I enjoy the look of blue lights in the tank, so I should also mention that I have a 48 inch LED light strip on my tank, which replicates moon light at night and is very, very pretty specially when the light shimmers off the back of the cardinal tetras, making them glow. I run the moonlights for a few hours after the PC's shut off.... and I get my guilty pleasure of having blue lights in the tank. Another nice benefit of the nighttime LEDs is that you get to witness a lot of the nocturnal activity that would otherwise go unnoticed.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Gray View Post
Sharon, I have a Vallisneria and it had a baby about three inches from the main plant, I am trying to start the baby in one of my other tanks, but if you can't find it I can see how to ship one to you if you would like once I get another baby started (they send a runner out and start the new plant off of the runner.

Or you could go to liveaquaria.com and order one (although the shipping is high so you would want to order enough plants to make it worth your while). The variety I have is "Jungle Vallisneria" which has straight leaves and grows upwards of 20 inches tall. Here is a link to a pack of six plants for $10.50 plus shipping
http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG...cd2=1226427269

Dave

Well, That's very kind of you, Dave. I'm on the east coast of Canada, so I'n not sure what the shipping costs would be...It says in the link that they require a lot of light...I'm wondering if I have enough for that particular plant. It's very pretty though, and it would cover all the stuff at the back of my tank. I did have the tubes covered with silk plants, but I removed them when I started with live plants...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM

Sharon, I have nowhere near the amount of light you have and the vallisneria is doing great.

I need to make a correction, the tank bulb on the 20 gallon and the 10 gallon tanks are only 18 inches long, not 20 inches long.

I am using on the 20 gallon tank a Coralife 50/50 bulb in 18 inch length 6000k output at 15 watts. the tank also gets ambient light (more if we remember to open the shade on the bedroom window, and quite often we forget).

As the vallisneria is very healthy and putting out babies I think you have plenty of light (you have more than I do) to raise these plants.

I also put in Kent marine fresh water plant suppliment once a week (2 teaspoons). I don't have any fancy substrate, just medium sized gravel and the plants are very healthy.

Dave
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 PM

I think I've done too much reading in regard to plants and lighting, and I think some articles like to make it more complicated than it is. I added new plants last Thurs, and the new light on Sat., and I have new growth already. I AM quite pleased! I think I will try the Vallisneria, and some others. I am liking the look of real plants so much more than the silks. I just need more of them.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 PM

Tanks looking great. Live plants Sharon, thats the way to go .

I am hoping for new lighting for my Rio 125 as a christmas present from my girls, so I will be doing some homework shortly to make sure the new lights will fit the old fixtures.

Good luck with the plant shopping.

Michelle