Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Catfish, Plecos and Loaches

Catfish, Plecos and Loaches Questions and comments about catfish, plecos and loaches.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:37 AM

Default advice?

i need some advice please. when ever i buy plecos they seem to die in around 7-15 days
Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 AM

Default Re: advice?

What are your tank perameters (temp, ph, nitrate, nitrite, amonia). How long has your tank been set up? Are you feeding the right food?

Any of these issues could cause an untimely death in a tropical fish. I buy algae wafers made for plecos to feed shrimp and other bottom feeders.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM

How sad

I'd check the parameters and let us know what they are... also be sure to feed the plecos enough and be sure to use water conditioner when you change your tank water...
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 AM

I was hoping that Sharon would pick up on this thread as she has had some pleco losses. I have read and heard of plecos dieing from the lack of a certain type of bacteria that grows in their gut that aids in digestion. They weaken and literally starve to death. The symptoms are a hollow or sunken belly. The bacteria apparently are killed off during the process of storage and shipping. Perhaps the meds the shippers and store owners put in their water to kill off possible contagious organisms from being shipped along with the fish. The whole capture and shipping ordeal is extremely stressing on fish so they are usually not in the best of health when you buy them. If the new stressed fish go into water that isn't in good condition it is highly likely that there is going to be deaths. Also many people buy plecos with out knowing anything about their care and they die off sometimes very cruelly.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 AM

Sorry...I missed this. I really don't have a lot of experience with Plecos, other than the Gold Nugget, which has a reputation for dying. I have lost two, within a few months of adding them to my tank. I have assumed from my experience that the gut bacteria died during transit. After doing research I could find no other explanation, in my case...Hope this helps.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories