Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds

Old 11-14-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Hello to all...

How do you sex goldfish, including what I would call the fantail type, up to about 4 inches in length ?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: How do you sex Goldfish?

From everything I have read, it seems that it can very difficult to tell the difference in many cases. Someone who keeps goldfish may have more info.

This link might help...http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/.../sexing-fs.htm
Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
From everything I have read, it seems that it can very difficult to tell the difference in many cases. Someone who keeps goldfish may have more info.

This link might help...http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/.../sexing-fs.htm
Thanks for that and yes, I'd heard it was very difficult. Here's another - one of my little fantails, after having been fed, seems to gain rather too much buoyancy. By this I mean he tries his little heart out to reach the
bottom of the tank, gets halfway down then bobs back up like a cork !
Could this be due to the swim bladder not functioning as it should due to inbreeding, for want of a better word, in his country of origin ?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quite possibly could be genetic as you mentioned (the swim bladder seems to often be affected by inbreeding/crossbreeding, also could just be trapped gases/constipation. If it is only after feeding I would try to vary his diet as much as possible and feed a bit less. You can also stop feeding for a day or 2 to let his stomach empty or feed him daphnia or a shelled pea (microwave for 10 secs. in a bit of water so it is soft (can be a frozen pea) and then remove the outer shell and cut the pea into tiny pieces and then feed), these are good as a laxative to help clear the stomach.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bernie : 11-15-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM

Probally gulping air during feeding. Makes him a little floaty for a while
Old 11-23-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi there,

Regarding sexing goldfish. My niece breed fancy goldfish very successfully for several years. They bred in the community tank and normally breed during the spring. She removed the eggs. Apart from the obvious chasing of the females, her females got larger with roe and I think the males got white spots on their gill covers and on their pectoral fins. But be aware males will chase males if there are no females present so best look for the physical signs. Also the vent on the female becomes more evident during the spring if chased by males.

She managed to keep her fancy goldfish for many years and I understand that they can be difficult to keep. There must be some good sites on the web to give you more detailed info. though. Good luck with the feeding and hope they are not ill.

Michelle
Old 11-26-2008, 05:00 AM

my mate who is obsessed with fancy goldfish said that the males get a row of tiny white spots on their pectoral fin, but its really hard to see and doesnt show up until they're mature...