Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Catfish, Plecos and Loaches

Catfish, Plecos and Loaches Questions and comments about catfish, plecos and loaches.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Default How Often do you feed your Corys?

A very general question I know, but I think the ratio of other fish to cory and size of tank would be similar in most community tanks (Well in my mind anyway!)

What do you peeps do?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 PM

Default Re: How Often do you feed your Corys?

Strangely worded question..................In the case of botton feeders like catfish, you need to feed enough that you notice them getting a share of the food. In a tank with agressive feeders, you may have to target feed the bottom feeders. You can do this at each feeding if you feed more than once a day.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 AM

hi there when it comes to corys you can buy a sinking disk at the fish store that is for cat fish and loachs and any bottom feeder...I use them and i find they get them befor the others have finished there meal...the trick i use is too feed the others first and then while there eatting drop the disks in.... i use 1 disk per cat...hope this helps it is just a idea....rob
Old 11-26-2008, 04:27 PM

I have to make sure all of my bottom feeders get enough food. I have clowns that stay hidden during the day but I have a very friendly Raphael cat that cruises the tank every so often, light doesn't bother him at all. Unfortunately, that also means he is first to the buffet and grabs the biggest plate

The sinking wafers are really helpful but he still manages to make off with three or four of them.

I feed my bottom feeders the shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and sinking wafers. I feed them every other day.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My 190L tank has 11 neons, 2 (can't remember Tetra), 1 chinese/siamese suckermouth and 3 peppered Cory.

Since the cory search the bottom of the tank all the time, I am wondering if they need the pellets everyday? I do feed flakes everyday.

What do you think?
Old 11-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think you can count solely on the flakes that end up on the bottom...it probably wouldn't sustain them. You will need to supplement their diet...if they look well fed, you could feed the pellet every 2nd day.

They are nocturnal so it is best to feed the pellet at night...if they are looking for food all day as well (although they are grazers) it may mean that they are not getting enough to eat.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:47 PM

I feed mine shrimp pellets once a day. They love them!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."