Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Odd Balls , Puffers, Sharks and Predators

Odd Balls , Puffers, Sharks and Predators Questions and comments about odd balls, puffers, sharks and predators.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Bala Shark

I have wanted a bala shark for a while now. I have a 30 Gallon tank with 3 zebra danios a cherry barb and a hatchet fish. I have read a lot of stuff about Bala sharks and have yet to decide whether i can have one or not. Many say 30 gallon is too small for fully grown Bala but i will be buying it small and other sources say 30 gallon will be fine. Finally they say it either does best in 3 or more or if in a community tank one is fine. I need help i cannot decide what to do and what source is true.

Also i am a begginer and also want to know if a rainbow shark would be fine in my tank?

Thanks everyone looking forward to being a member of these forums and learning!!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Bala Shark

One or three or more Balas will get along with most tank occupants they can't swallow. You already know that they will eventually get quite big and hopefully are prepared for it...............One bad thing about them is that they are easily startled and will dash wildly often injuring themselves. Also they will bail out of very small openings, so you need to prepare for that.

The Rainbows and or Red Fin Sharks will fight among their on kind as well as with Red Tail and Black Sharks..........They generally stay near the bottom. They may also chase or harass other fish.

Since you are a beginner get some experiance with less exotic fish then try the sharks.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM

I would refer you to this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bala_shark even though it may not be the best information. Also what I have seen tank wise is always a 55 gallon or bigger tank with five or more bala sharks in them (the exeption to this is the small store display tanks with small bala sharks).

Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Since you are a beginner get some experiance with less exotic fish then try the sharks.

Alright thanks Dano and Dave, I am very interested in the sharks thats why i ask. Eventually what shark would you recommend best for a beginner and tank with the fish i have.

Last edited by RickR : 01-08-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
Alright thanks Dano and Dave, I am very interested in the sharks thats why i ask. Eventually what shark would you recommend best for a beginner and tank with the fish i have.

This is where you will need to do your research via the web, and books on aquariums and books on the specie you want (you can check them out at the library); you can ask your local fish store for any and all information as well (by local fish store I am NOT refering to petco, petsmart or any of their ilk, but rather a store that has knowledge about the fish they sell, such as a smaller non-chain pet of fish store).

I know that some sharks usually are territorial like the rainbow shark and red tailed shark and usually only one of these type sharks is in the tank at a time (be it a community tank or otherwise), also these two type of shark don't always play well in a community tank as they may bully other fish.

So do your research, go to a good fish store that knows there stuff and see how their tanks are set up to give you an idea before you add a shark; also ask a ton of questions. You can also send e-mail quieries to breeders, breeding facilities or other people you know have these fish.

My albino rainbow shark trades off with the Boseman's rainbow fish in one of the tanks for 'bully of the day' as one or the other will try to keep the other tank mates either all in one area or away from an area (however I have noticed no injuries on any of the fish in that tank and keep a constant watch for any bruising (discoloration) and nipped fins.

If you get a shark for a community tank I would say that "smaller is better" as you will have less chance of the shark harrassing the other fish , and the fish will get bigger fast. Case in point my rainbow shark was about two inches long when I purchased it and is now doubled in size.

Dave
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 AM

ive been reading about the sharks and it seems like it has nothing on whether its fine with a silver hatchet fish. The rainbow shark or the bala look like they would be the best match for my tank