Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Articles

Articles Write an article on a tropical fish species or aquarium care and share it with members here or simply write a note asking for something you've read elsewhere on the forum to be copied to this section.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Black Worms (a side effect I have been monitoring)

I am putting this here as this will probably get more views.

I have notices a positive side effect of adding (feeding) black worms to tanks (especially those with undergravel filters). The blackworms that don't get eaten will eat the sludge (from uneaten food that gets sucked under the fitlter plate and fish waste) that grows under the filter plates of an undergravel filter and the waste from the blackworms is small enough to cycle back into the tank and settle on the gravel (microscopic so you won't see it) and it will feed your plants and other inverts as well as feeding fish fry. In a tank without an undergravel filter they will eat the fish waste/uneaten food and the blackworms waste will help fertilize any live plants in the tank.

Also the blackworms are a good source of food for all sizes of fish and some other invertabrates such as freshwater shrimp.

Since adding blackworms to my tanks the water has been clearer, the nitrate levels went down as did ammonia levels (I was monitoring amonia at safe levels but it was being detected by the test kits and now there is zero ammonia being detected).

This is merely an observation on my part, but one I thought worthy to share as it can be beneficial.

Dave
Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Black Worms (a side effect I have been monitoring)

I have never seen or kept live Black Worms...............I have used the frozen and freeze dried stuff............What keeps them from over populating and becoming a nuisance?...............What are some of the other possible down sides of having them in a tank?.......I find the idea interesting and may try it..........Any more info you care to add may be beneficial to me and other members..................Thanks for posting this

Dan

Last edited by Dano : 01-17-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I have never seen or kept live Black Worms...............I have used the frozen and freeze dried stuff............What keeps them from over populating and becoming a nuisance?...............What are some of the other possible down sides of having them in a tank?.......I find the idea interesting and may try it..........Any more info you care to add may be beneficial to me and other members..................Thanks for posting this

Dan

In a tank without an undergravel filter they get eaten by the fish (my tank has one albino rainbow shark, one raphael striped cat, one Boseman's rainbow, some Kuhli loaches, two hill stream loaches [Borneo Sucker Mouth is one nickname], and the pair of swordtails). Usually 95% of the worms are eaten in a months time, the worms will pretty much burry themselves in the sand with 1/4 or more inches waving in the water like grass.

In a tank with an undergravel filter you won't see the ones that are under your filter plates and occasionally you will see them in the substrate, if they come up too far out of the gravel the fish get them.

In the 20 gallon tank I have when they come up through the gravel and are in the moss the shrimp will eat them as well as the guppies and guppy fry that is older than a week old. I have had a few re-enter the main tank by traveling up the tube and working their way through the granulated charcoal filters, these usually get eaten before they get back to the gravel substrate.

Picture of blackworms in sand substrate:

Dave

Last edited by D.Gray : 01-19-2009 at 02:39 AM. Reason: adding picture
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 AM

Added a picture for you guys and gals so you can see what these worms look like when they are in a sand substrate. They will also burrow around plants aeriating the soil the plants are planted in if using Sand or other substrates with the exception of gravel.

Dave
Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Wow, I didnt notice this post before... thanks!! I will try getting some ASAP

"It's better being happy than being right"