Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Filters and Powerheads

Filters and Powerheads Questions and comments about aquarium filters and powerheads

Old ,

Default Filter cleaning

I have a HOB filter (whisper power filter 30) and was wondering do i clean the filter often? Should i take out the cartridge and run clean it?

Last edited by RickR : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Filter cleaning

This is a subject that is frequently discussed on this forum and many members have contributed a great deal of information about it.

One more time: Periodically clean the filter medium in used tank water to remove surface debris........When the filter medium gets clogged or deteriorates replace it.........When the filter seems to run slow or gets noisy remove it from the tank and carefully clean it.

If you have a good healthy tank, replacing the cartridges or filter medium will not cause difficulties........The greatest percentage of beneficial bacteria live on all the surfaces in the tank, and it will quickly regrow in the new filter media.

Many have the misconception that most of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter amd removing the filter mediun will cause problems.....The filter is designed primarily to remove solids from the water column and add some extra surface area for bacteria........Ideally, the bio system of a healthy tank is sufficient enough to deal with ammonia on it's own.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

About how frequently does a filter need new cartridges?
Old ,

Did you read the previous post?

"One more time: Periodically clean the filter medium in used tank water to remove surface debris........When the filter medium gets clogged or deteriorates replace it.........When the filter seems to run slow or gets noisy remove it from the tank and carefully clean it."

You have to use some judgement.
Old ,

Ok thanks!