Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Fish Stress

Is stress something that can be tested with a kit or is it something you look at and notice? I am wondering if i need a stress coat or something along the lines.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Fish Stress

Stress is the visible action a fish presents when it is uncomfortable in it's environment.............Any behavior out side of the expected norm such as: wild dashing....heavy breathing(gill fluttering)....odd swimming angles.....no appetite.....laying on bottom....gasping at the surface.....loss of color....ect.
I do not use Stress Coat nor will I recommend it for anything......Too much slime production in fish is harmful......Most water conditioners have a slime enhancer in them so using Stress Coat in conjunction with them is over kill.

The best treatment for stress is to find out what is causing it and do something about it.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 PM

awesome good to know, you guys are so helpful with my silly questions thanks sorry for being a beginner.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
awesome good to know, you guys are so helpful with my silly questions thanks sorry for being a beginner.

Rick, you have nothing to be sorry about as we were all beginners at one time; heck I just got back into fresh water aquariums in June of 2008 at 38 years of age and I have learned alot from the people here.

And I appreciate that you take the advice given to heart and act on it or ask further questions so that your learning curve gets smaller. I have found the advice the moderators give here to be top notch and most of the advice from the users here to be very good as well.

Dave
Old 01-11-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Gray View Post
Rick, you have nothing to be sorry about as we were all beginners at one time; heck I just got back into fresh water aquariums in June of 2008 at 38 years of age and I have learned alot from the people here.

And I appreciate that you take the advice given to heart and act on it or ask further questions so that your learning curve gets smaller. I have found the advice the moderators give here to be top notch and most of the advice from the users here to be very good as well.

Dave

Thanks Dave I really love learning about this stuff and you guys have made it so easy to learn thanks again!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 AM

What has really helped the Tropical Fish Hobby is the vast information on the Internet...............Forty five or so years ago there were only a few books available and a few old time hobbyists that took me under their wings.
I have learned more in the last 15 years than in the previous 30 just from the Internet and the discussion forums.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:30 PM

My Rasboras are schooling fish, and I've noticed that with sudden changes like the light going off or on or the vacuum tube going in for weekly cleaning/water changes they tighten up their school as a defense mechanism (they only stay that way momentarily). Normally they school very loosely. So maybe for schooling fish, if they're in a tight school all the time it might be a sign of stress?

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta