Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Livebearers

Livebearers Questions and comments about livebearers

Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Fighting Mollies and Stress

Just an update:

The silver molly never recovered from the stress of giving birth and being bullied - she died a week later. Then my platies started looking stressed so that was the last straw - I bought another tank for the bully fish. I put some gravel and water from the main tank to start the cycle and ease the transition, and put the new filter media in the old filter to seed it as well. He seems happy there and has the space, and food, all to himself.

The platies were jittery for a day or two but I think they might be recovering now. All this time the water quality tests out perfect, and the fry are doing great - they have more than doubled in size! But I knew if I left them all together the mickey mouse platy would go next, then the red wagtail, then the fry... I couldn't bear to lose 10 fish altogether because of one...

Besides, my family gave me the R2 Fish School Set for Christmas (this is a riot!) and now I have a setup where I can use it.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:52 AM

Wow you took some good action for your fish. I had an extremely aggressive golden male molly. It was kind of funny how i "taught" him to behave. I had a much smaller tank than yours and had about 5-6 batches of fry, all but one batch had a successful fry generation.

What i did for the male. I put him in a small tank of about 2-3 gallons and kept him in there for 2-3 days. The tank was near the other tank with all the other mollies. I did this about 5-7 times and he eventually became nice to his wife . It was a happy ending, until i moved them all to the 20 gallon tank. Anyways my point is that males tend to be aggressive to the female mollies. I don't know the science or why your male was so stubborn. I'm really sorry about your fish though and even thought mollies seem easy to take care of, they're actually very misinterpreted.

As for the fry, to save a few more, what i did was get a breeder's trap or net. It hung to the tanks "hood" or edge i guess and once i caught the fry i would put them in there for a week. Then i would release them to all the adults. The ones eaten were weaker but it was like a minimized, dumbed down version of Survival of the Fittest.

This is the type of net i used:
http://www.plantguild.com/NET_BREEDER.jpg

And this was my expansive problem with my mollies which i ended up selling for a bit more to learn:
http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=1564
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the links Pwat, your molly story was definitely educational. I don't want to put any other fish with the male right now - I'm watching the cycling process which will be stressful enough. Hopefully with the seeded gravel it should go faster than the first tank.

I may consider some bottom-dwellers in the future because they won't compete with him for food - it seems that food-aggression was his worst problem and the other fish got stressed because they started associating feeding time with being chased around. They couldn't eat in peace. It's been three days now and finally the Mickey Mouse Platy has stopped darting away when I come up to the tank with food. Another day or two and she might start swimming up to greet me again, I hope.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 AM

I'm glad that your deciding on bottom-dwellers, they are peaceful and don't really fight for their food (my Betta even sometimes to pretend to be one of them and swims with them). Yes, the cycling process and can be rough, but you've shown good action for your fish, so i believe you'll do well with the male. Just a heads-up. I believe that Dalmatian mollies are a bit weaker and have a lower immune system than the black mollies. I believe it's from the cross-breeding, but your male isn't letting that statement get to him .

As i said before, Good luck!
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn