Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Filters and Powerheads

Filters and Powerheads Questions and comments about aquarium filters and powerheads

Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Default I was thinking about...

getting an external filter to replace my Aquaclear 300 on my 30 gal because I have sand in my tank and the impeller is messed up from the sand. I have been looking at the Eheim Classic and Fluval. I think i am leening toward the Eheim 2213 because of price. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them and could tell me anything about them. Thxs.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Re: I was thinking about...

You can keep sand out of your filter by either shortening the pick up tube or adding a flexible tube between the two halves of the pickup tube so you can put the part of the tube that does sucks up the water further away from the gravel. Secure the end that sucks up the water to the side of the tank with a heater clamp (suction cup with a clamp to hold the heater). Also if you need to get a new impeller most manufacturers sell parts and pieces for their filters (you may have to go direct to the manufacturers web site).

Dave
Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Default Re: I was thinking about...

Thxs for the tip D. Gary. I know that I can get new impelles I have in the past but I think that the the canister would be better for the plants and also it would be alot quieter. Also, With the canister I can use your tip with the flexible tubing. Again thxs for the info.