Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,

Default Cloudy water

As a six month tank owner, I have learned a lot about fish keeping, especially that there are a lot of products on the market.

I am experiencing cloudy water and would like recommendations for the best way to clear it up. At this time, because of high PH out of my faucet, I am treating my water with a small amount of vinagar which has kept all of my fish alive for about 3 1/2 weeks-the most success I have had. I have used a ph buffer with no success except death.

I don't know if the vinagar is creating cloudy water.

Do you have any suggestions. My tank is 25 gallons and I have been changing about 20% of the water once a week.

25 Gallon Tank
1 Placo
4 Head light/tail light Tetras
6 Gold Pristella Tetras
3 High Fin Black Skirted Tetras
3 Platys
1 Chinese Alge Eater
Old ,

Default Re: Cloudy water

What is the ph?...Adding vinegar to the water repeatedly is very dangerous........There are other means of adjusting ph........Cloudy water is usually caused by over feeding or disturbing gravel that wasn't rinsed thoroughly before use.
Old ,

My PH is down to about 7.2. Out of the tap, it is off the high PH charts. I called my water company before Christmas, when my problems really began, and they said they had not changed the water.

I did a 20-25% water change last night. I have been putting in 1/8 of a teaspoon of vinagar to 1 gallon of water for a little over a month.
Old ,

I would be curious as to what the KH and DH hardness of your water is.....Adding the vinegar is a no win method...Try a black water extract or driftwood.....Peat moss in the filter also works to soften and lower the ph.
Old ,

I have an eclipse 3 filter and have been curious about using charcol or other media along with my filter. there are so many products on the market I don't know what to use. How would I use Peat Moss in my eclipse. Any help I can get is appreciated!
Old ,

I checked my tank last night and my PH (from an API test kit, lower range) was 7.2, from a Jungle strip my KH was 80, my GH was 75, my nitrites were 0 and my nitrates were 40. The water is clearing a bit and yes, I did a lot of syphoning of rocks the previous night when I did a water change.
Old ,

Put the peat moss in one of those nylon media bags or a nylon stocking....Hang it where the out flow of the filter hits the bag....You will have to experiment with the amount and how long to keep it in the tank to keep the desired ph.