Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Barbs and Danios

Barbs and Danios Questions and comments about barbs and danios.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:55 AM

Question GloFish Danios

Does anyone currently have these types? What can you tell me about them? I am considering getting them and wanted to know a little more about them.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 AM

Default Re: GloFish Danios

Just regular Danios, just that those were GENETICLY altered with some coral genes to give them those colors. By the way if Im not mistaken they are "registered" by some company and its "against the law" to reproduce them... weird huh! Anyway, good luck to any one trying to reproduce Danios as I think is not that easy. Their story is very interesting as they were developed to trace sources of contamination on some rivers in South America. Someone confirm this or write an article please!! I think someone already did this on this forum JIC. You can check GloFish.com while we post some more precise info here. Hope this help.

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yes! Lemuel is right & they are just normal zebrafish (danios) that have been injected with the dye from jellyfish to give them the colouring. They are only available in the States but interesting enough I just discovered that an application was sent to the Aust. Govt. (office of the Gene Technology Regulator) last year to allow the importation of these fish into Australia. Here is a brief summary of that application if anyone is interested.

Application

The Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) has received an application (DIR 072/2007) from Yorktown Technologies Limited Partnership (USA) (Yorktown Technologies) which, if approved, would allow the commercial release of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Yorktown Technologies is seeking approval for the unrestricted import and distribution of three lines of zebrafish (Danio rerio) that have been genetically modified (GM) to express red, green or yellow fluorescent proteins. The GM zebrafish are collectively traded as GloFishTM.
The aim of the proposed import is to allow the sale of GloFishTM within the Australian ornamental fish industry and enable members of the public to obtain GloFishTM for use in home aquaria.

The full information can be found at this website http://www.ogtr.gov.au/rtf/ir/dir072ebnotific.rtf
Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Yes So why not just get danios? When a fish is dyed a color it tends to grow weak because of the weak genes. It may make the fish look more colorful but still you should not buy those fish. There are alot of danios.

. Leopard Danios

. Zebra Danios

. Gaint Danios ( grow max. 4 inches )

. Long finned danios.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM

Lemuel posted some good info about the glofish. They are not dyed, but are genetically altered to have the pink coloration. They have proven to be just as hardy and fertile as normal Danio.

Last edited by Dano : 01-11-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

I was at the lfs this morning & they have the "Red" Danios for sale - I still don't think they can be imported into Aust. but apparently a local breeder in the area sold them to the lfs. I wonder if he actually Gen.mod. them himself UMM!!!!!

Of course fish aren't as colourful in the lfs but these poor little fish looked as if the red had just been penciled onto them & all their spines were very distorted/misshapen, it made me very sad to see them like that.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 PM

Aww, poor little fish. My LFS has the orange and yellow. I have seen green online. I have not ever seen red glofish. I own 2 orange glofish. They are great! Although I will not buy anymore Glos because it is not legal to sell any babies.

Glofish are not legal to import to CA as well.

Do you think some glowlight danios would school with the glofish I already have?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

They sound really pretty - Danios are very social & they should shoal together without problems (all Danios can be nippy though).

You never know they may even crossbreed & you will get hybrids.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 AM

Thanks Bernie. If I give it a go I'll let you know if they school together.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 AM

Just thought I would post a couple of links to help with general information. Often the Glowlight Danio is confused with the "glo-light" version that is genetically modified and or injected with anenome venom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danio_choprae

http://www.glofish.com/

As I understand it the Glowlight Danio (Danio choprai) was discovered in the wild as recently as 1996 (I read this some where, please correct me if I am mistaken). I have 8 of these very cool and colourful fish and feel that it is disgusting that anyone could be so inhumane to inject this type of fish for their own gratuity!

Please do not support these cruel and inhumane people. Do not buy "glolight" versions of this wonderful species.

Last edited by amboman : 03-22-2009 at 07:33 AM.