Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Gravel and Decorations

Gravel and Decorations Questions and comments about gravel and decorations

Old 03-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Default Driftwood

I have a question on driftwood. Is there a better type to get? I have been on aquabid and I see that there is Mopani, Eucalyptus, Malaysian etc. The reason I am getting a piece, is because I purchased a bristlenose last week, and everything was going well, he/she was eating algae, and the cucumber slice, swimming around, etc, than last night I found him/her dead.
Water parameters are:
29 gallon tank
Water Temp:72
Ammonia:0
Nitrites:1
Nitrates:10
PH:6.8
Tankmates: 8 White Clouds, 1 Cherry Barb, 2 snails, 1 Ryukin(2.5 inch)

All my other fish are fine, and there aren't any bully's in the tank. There weren't any markings to think there was disease or parasites. I read up and saw that they need the wood to help in digestion and am figuring that may have had something to do with it. I'm not sure, what else to do, and I wanted to get another one and this is the only thing I can think of.
Any help is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Norm
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Driftwood

sometimes when i buy plecos or other algea eaters ,mine die for no aparent reasons aswell

it looks like maybe your nitrites could have been a factor
you need zero nitrites

10 nitrates is pretty good though
Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM

I know I need 0 nitrites, but for some reason, after 6 months, this tank bounces between 0 and 1. I do 25% water changes every other day, and it still sometimes reads 1 on the liquid test. Water out of the tap is 0, and it is well water.
I did think of that, but all my other fish are perfectly fine, that is what is throwing me off and thinking it might be the wood not being in there.
Maybe I'll get a piece and try again, I just don't want to kill anymore for the heck of it. Thanks.

Norm
Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 PM

I suspect that your BN was not well when you purchased it....Plecos wouldn't die of dietary deficiencies that fast.....Having the driftwood won't hurt anything.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I suspect that your BN was not well when you purchased it....Plecos wouldn't die of dietary deficiencies that fast.....Having the driftwood won't hurt anything.

As I do more research Dano, I am thinking you are right. They are caught wild as well like Oto's so they use the same technique using cyanide to slow them down.

Norm
Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 AM

I don't know about the cyanide, but you can bet that your fish was kept in pretty poor conditions from the time it was caught or bred till it got to you.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 PM

I wonder myself about the original question. Is there a better wood than others? I have a piece of Mopie wood that turned my tank tea-like so I took it out and soaked in in a bucket for 2 weeks, changing the water every day and it still dirtied the water. I would love some wood but have enough problems with clarity without adding to it.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:48 AM

I don't think there is any particular type of wood that will not color the water any more or less than any other type........I have had some that never colored the water and some that turned the water dark brown......
Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I don't think there is any particular type of wood that will not color the water any more or less than any other type........I have had some that never colored the water and some that turned the water dark brown......

I got a piece of Eucalyptus driftwood, and it has been soaking for 3 days now, and there is little discoloration in the water. I think darker the wood, the more tannins that could possible be released.

Norm