Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Black algae build up

I have one beta in a five gallon tank. He has been there about a month. I am getting alot a lot of black (I guess) algae build up. I do weekly 20% water changes and he get feed twice a day. I do not over feed him. Any one with any ideas why I getting this build up and how to clean it up?

Thanks!

Last edited by jim : 03-04-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Black algae build up

Can you describe the algae more? (Texture, length, does it wipe off easily, where in the tank does it grow, etc) Is your tank by a window, and do you add any ferilizer? What kind of aquarium lights do you have and what is the watt to gallon ratio?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:45 PM

This tank is just a 5 gallon. It came complete. No fancy lights just a regular flourescant. The black what I am referring to as algae is a build up. I have had it before in my big tank but I have not seen it for a long time now. I do not add ferilizer. It wipes off if you scrub it what I usually do is the big no no but it works. I take a clean bucket, I put anything that is covered in the bucket and add hot water and a tablespoon of bleach. I let it sit for a day and the rinse it off very well. It takes no scrubbing when I do this. I make sure before I put any thing back in the tank it is rinsed off well. I have done this a few times and never had any problems. The key is to rinse it off well. But I am wondering why this is occuring. Thanks for you help.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 AM

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

Could you pick out the algae from this page? All algae is different so we need to know what kind it is before we try to get rid of it.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 AM

Well it's like the brush algae but my plants are plastic.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:08 AM

Hmmm...

Beard algae is very tough to remove from anything because it really clings hard. I'm just getting over a bout of it and it was nearly impossible to remove until it started dying. Could you take a photo?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Well I have clean it yesterday my usual way. And it works. I take the plants, remember these are plastic. And any ornaments that have blacken. I put them in a clean bucket of HOT water with a tablespoon of bleach. I let them soak. With in a few hours the black is usually gone. Then I rinse them all VERY well. I soak them in clean water. It works and I am sure I will hear alot about adding bleach. My fish are fine and the nasty black algae is gone. My curiosityis why this happens? What causes it?

Last edited by jim : 03-05-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Black beard algae thrives in waters that are nutrient and oxygen rich, and co2 deprived, but are actually pretty uncommon for unplanted tanks. I ended up giving away my plants because they were dying anyway. I stopped adding ferts and I reduced lighting, and then it began to die! Siamese Algae Eaters are the only fish that will eat this algae, but I don't recomend getting the fish just for that. Try turning off the lights for a week, then keep them on for 8 hours per day. Increase water changes to reduce nitrate. If there's no change in a month or so, try making a little DIY CO2 chamber. Most people use them for plants, but it is cheap and easy to make. A really drastic measure is to add copper to the tank, but this should be a LAST resort because copper is dangerous to fish.

There's nothing wrong with bleah! That's actually what you are supposed to be doing. As long as you are rinsing it very well (air drying will help too), then there is no danger
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks Hip