Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Default What Colour

Just wondering what colour light most people prefer for their tanks?

I have a 11 watt white fluro.light on mine but i think it was a bit glary and bright for the fish so i used some spare background paper and covered a bit of the glass lid with it and placed the light on it (i have one of those expandible lights that sit on the tank lid) which makes the light a little more subdued with a soft greenish tinge (because the wallpaper is mostly green plants & rocks) and also makes it look like there are floating plants.

i would like to know all your thoughts on what colour looks the best

Last edited by Bernie : 11-22-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: What Colour

When I first started keeping fish tanks a year and a half ago, I really liked the bright blue, clean look, so I mixed blue and white gravel. That was nice for a while, and it made the tank look really bright (it was only a 5 gallon). Now I much prefer a more natural look. In my 46 gallon, I currently have a very fine, beige gravel, and kind of looks like sand. It's starting to get a little darker now that the tank has been running for a while. I've seen black substrate as well, and I really like it when it's a fine natural looking gravel (rather the "glossy" look that some substrate has, but can also be nice in the right tank). The black helps to really contrast against the colours of your fish. Finer/smaller gravel is also much easier to vacuum, and it's very easy to remove any debris.

**I have just reread the first post, and realized that I misread it the first time, and thread is about lighting, not gravel!! Anyway, those are my thoughts on gravel colour! As far as lighting goes, I have a standard flourescent light in both my tanks, with just the normal "white" light. I have seen blue moon lights though, and they really give the tank a completely different look, especially when the rest of the room is dark. Expensive though I think... but I'll be keeping my eye out for a good price. These lights are especially nice on marine tanks.

I bet your "floating plants" look really interesting!!

Last edited by Gillian : 11-22-2006 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Misread the first post!!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

LOL and still laughing you are funny Gillian. My gravel is small/black

I don't think we have moon lights in Australia never heard of them before but will look around.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:03 AM

Haha I know!! And after I had it posted, I was like "Why the heck is this gravel thread in the lighting section???" Well, at least it's almost Friday.

Well the moonlight is usually used for marine tanks, but it can be beneficial for all fish since it simulates natural moonlight. Here's a site that talks about it a little more, and right at the bottom of the page, there's a picture of the affect of moonlighting in a marine tank. I believe typical moonlight colours are blue or white.
http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/...FRE9FQodKlQfqA

A local marine fish shop has a 400 gallon marine tank, and I saw it last night with the room completely dark, and with just the blue moonlights on over the tank and it was absoultely breathtaking! You can see the water rippling over the substrate, and some of the corals seem to glow in the dark! There's a pic of the 400 gallon tank on the bottom of this page: http://www.esanaquatics.com/AboutUs.htm but it just has the regular lighting in this pic. Maybe one day I'll upgrade my light system...
Old 11-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

very beautiful thanks for info - would probably look best with coral - as you said it is mainly used for marine tanks - i don't think it would look that good on my little 10 gall.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:52 AM

The colors of florescent light depend on its Kelvin rating. This doesn't really matter for unplanted tanks, but if you have plants and have only space for one strip light, choose a nice white one that's around 5,500K. If you've got room for two, you can mix and match with cool (10,000k) and warm (4,300k). For an unplanted tank, I like white or cool colors because it makes the tank glow and generally brings out nicer colors in most fish.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Just a reminder, change your bulbs every year. The gases inside stop generating the same amount of wavelenght after a while. This is specially important if you keep plants. Later guys!!!!!!!!!

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 PM

Also, when you replace your fluorescent lights, ALWAYS recycle them! They contain mercury which is toxic to the environment and the life it supports. One gram of mercury will contaminate about 2.5 acres of pond, so protect other fishies and wildlife while taking care of your own
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Great Tips!! thanks guys I knew that the light gradually diminishes over time but thought it lasted longer than that - It would also depend on how many hrs a day the light was on for wouldn't it? most tank lights are on at least 10 hrs a day anyway, so 1 year is pretty good I guess before changing it!