Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds

Old 12-20-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Fantail fao Sharon

How much and often do you feed your fantails? I feed 'Jack' with gold fish pellets, about 4, twice a day, but he always on the lookout for food and taking mouthfuls of sand ( though I know to a degree this is normal). Also, would 'he' benefit from some company? He is in a 20 imp gallon 3' tank, he is about 4 or 5 inches tip to tail, or should I just let him have all the space?
I was actually toying with the idea of some whiteclouds so I wouldnt have to raise the temp.
90 Gallon...7 Tiger , 11 Green and 4 Albino Barbs, a Rainbow Shark and flying foxes
Old 12-20-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Fantail fao Sharon

Hi Jas ...I feed mine once a day, and they get a combo of flakes, shrimp pellets, peas, sinking tablets...they will eat anything and I like to feed a varied diet. They are susceptible to swim bladder problems so I make sure I don't overfeed and I vary their diet. It sounds like Jack may be getting more than mine, but he's also a lot bigger than mine(only 1.5 inches). I'm sure he'd love some company of his own kind...each goldfish needs about 10 gal. so if you added another one, there wouldn't be room for the white clouds, and they are lovely fish. Decisions, decisions...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Perhaps I'll get another fantail then it was purely for company for Jack rather than a burning desire to have some whiteclouds
90 Gallon...7 Tiger , 11 Green and 4 Albino Barbs, a Rainbow Shark and flying foxes
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 PM

I'm sure he'd love it!!! Thought one of mine was dead yesterday morning. I was doing my usual head count, during feeding, and only one fantail in sight. I finished feeding the other tanks, while worrying about what could have gone wrong, as Goldfish are pretty hardy. I started to net him out, and he swam away...silly little thing had gotten himself stuck in the leaves of a silk fern...go figure!!! He's got a few small tears in his tail fin, but I'm sure it will grow back.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 12-21-2007, 04:44 PM

Other than competition for food, is there any reason why you can't put a comet and a fantail together?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:59 PM

It is not advised to keep Comets with the slower moving Fantails. Not only will there be unfair competition for food, but the Comet is a faster swimmer, and that will stress the Fantail. Comets are known to nip the Fantails fins, also...Comets grow very big(12-14 inches ) and needs at least a 40 gal. tank.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Oh!

Well the gold fish we rescued from the 3g hex, I think, is in fact, a comet!
I bought a fantail today, then realised what we already had! Next door has a pond which I may be able to house the comet in,but how do I acclimatise from water that's about 65 degrees to extremely cold outside? Or do I just take the fantail back and see how the comet gets on?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:15 PM

It'll be easier to put the Comet in the pond, when summer comes. Then he can adjust to the colder weather, next fall, and go into "hibernation" mode. I think I'd take the fantail back, if it were me...maybe someone else will have another opinion...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old 12-21-2007, 06:24 PM

....just thinking...I suppose you could try them together, and move the Comet if there's trouble. All you need is a large plastic storage bin, and a filter.... and it would only be until summer.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old 12-21-2007, 08:32 PM

I've been keeping a close eye in them, ar first the comet was really territorial, hustling the fantail, but now they seem to have made friends! The fantail was 'sat' in the v of the comets tail, and when the comet swam, the fantail swam as well, staying in the v!!