Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Articles

Articles Write an article on a tropical fish species or aquarium care and share it with members here or simply write a note asking for something you've read elsewhere on the forum to be copied to this section.

Old ,

Default Article - Dwarf Puffers

Dwarf puffers - The little fish with BIG character

Dwarf puffers (dps) are a relatively new discovery, a few years ago when India started exporting more of their native fish to the States and Europe there were a few relatively obscure puffers about the size of a pea ( hence one of their trade names, the pea puffer) They were originally assumed to be juvenile examples of already known puffers but it soon became clear this was not the case.

Dps reach an adult size of 1 inch, they have black eyes that turn blue when they are in the light and can move independently (like Chameleons), they can open or close their tail fin depending if they're stopping or going.
They will also 'curl' their tail which can indicate stress or illness but also just a way of manoeuverability. They also can be seen opening their mouths up wide, as if yawning.
Their spots/patches are different colours and shades, from bluish green to black and from light to dark. They can also change how dark or faded their spots are, depending on their mood.

Determining the sex of dps when they are young is very difficult but easy in adults. The males have a dark line running down their belly ( as well as more yellow colouring on their bellies) The vertical line on the males darkens with sexual maturity and during spawning. The males also have lines or wrinkles behind/above their eyes that the females do not have. The females body is also much rounder than the males.

Dps are best when kept in a 20 gallon, 1 male and 2 females. The tank should be very heavily planted so the dps line of sight is constantly broken and they have hiding places. This will greatly reduce the amount/ chance of aggressive behaviour. Dps do not need to school so a single dp can be kept, there are also examples of people keeping 20 in a 20g ( very very heavily planted) with few problems but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you are new to dps. Ideally dps need about 3 gallons each.

As far as tank mates go, although there are a number of examples of people keeping dps in a community tank, it is not recommended!
Otocinclus make excellent tank mates and very few people have had any problems at all with these coexisting, amano or ghost shrimp are another possibilty but if the dps discover how tasty they are then the peaceful coexistence comes to an end!! It is probably a good idea, as with any non species tank, when dealing with varying levels of aggression, to add the least aggresive first ( obviously the oto in this case) to allow them to 'claim' territories first.

DPs will eat frozen foods ( bloodworms being the most common and popular amongst dp owners), live foods ( blackworms,brine shrimp, snails etc) They will not eat flake food or freeze dried as a rule, if they do eat any flake food offered it should not be considered a staple diet!
Although dps don't have the need for snails to blunt their teeth the way other puffers do ( most puffers have teeth that continue to grow and grow, like rabbits!), snails can still form a large part of their diet and they will enjoy hunting them in their tank, they are just more likely to suck the snails out of the shell as opposed to crunching down!

Dps are quite hardy and will tolerate varying water conditions but obviously will do best, as with any fish, in optimum water conditions.
They do best at temperatures of 80/26 degress with a ph of at least 7

PLEASE NOTE
Dps are 100% fresh water fish, they do not require any salt, unlike some other fresh water puffers they do not require salt as they grow older, although they will tolerate small increases in salinity they are at optimum health in pure fresh water.

Dps are a very intelligent, interesting fish, they are very aware of 'outside' the tank, and will spend as much time watching you as you do watching them. Give them a try!!
Old ,

Default Re: Article - Dwarf Puffers

Lots of great information, there...Thanks!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Super nice! Never heard anything from those ones. Please post a pic!!!

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1379/...1130a3.jpg?v=0

http://webpages.charter.net/stikman64/puffers9.jpg
Old ,

I tried 'googling' for non-copywrited pics to post but only 1 of 3 worked, best you just google puffer fish images yourself.

As a postscript to article, although it might be cool to see your puffer, regardless of type, puff up, this is a sign of fear or distress! That said, there are numerous cases of dps puffing up at feeding time, so don't worry.
Also, as with any overtly aggressive fish, keeping them well ( but not over) fed will help curb the aggression. It's easy to tell when your dp has had enough because their little bellies will be visibly full! ( bless 'em lol)
Old ,

Thanks for all the fabulous information, Jasandjules. I've posted your article in the main Galleries at tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Puffers/PeaPuffer.asp I've also attached a photo that was sent in to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PufferLex.jpg
Views:	1432
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	815  

Last edited by Tim : at .
Old ,

Thanks everyone! Now I just need to a place where I can buy some... hhehe Jasandjules, do you have some? and if so, with what partners?? Later

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

I'm currently cycling a tank in preparation for some, my lfs almost always has some. Haven't decided whether to have Otos as well yet or not.
Old ,

I used to have dwarf puffers, but they were way to aggressive for me.

On the way home from the lfs one bit a chunk out of the other one inside the bag

There names were Dudley and Jester, they were cool and they had alot of personality.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Typical! My 20g is nearly ready, I popped into my lfs , which has had dwarf puffers for months, and they didn't have any!! They did have some Peruvian/ South American/Colomesus puffers which are very similar, just three times the size ( upto three inches) but I do not fancy performing puffer dentistry ( I would have to trim the teeth about once every four months!) So I will just have to wait!
90 Gallon...7 Tiger , 11 Green and 4 Albino Barbs, a Rainbow Shark and flying foxes