Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Articles

Articles Write an article on a tropical fish species or aquarium care and share it with members here or simply write a note asking for something you've read elsewhere on the forum to be copied to this section.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Discus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Some waste can be good for plants, snail waste is very good for plants and fish like it as well because it has other nutrients in it that snails produce but fish don't. The build up of any waste isn't good for the fish though because it releases ammonia.

If you can clearly see the waste then I would try using a turkey baster which will syphon the waste off the sand without disturbing/taking up too much of the sand as well. I love using basters for this reason ( have gravel in mine) and hardly ever use a normal syphon anymore.
I managed to get most of the waste from the bottom with the rgavel cleaner! well, until Discus blew the sand and more waste has appeared Didn't really seem to bother him while I was doing a water change, she is a bit nosey to be honest!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe your Discuss could help you with the syphoning my guys are very nosy as well and whenever I start syphoning the gravel they always get in the way and nudge at the tube. It doesn't worry them when I syphon, in fact they seem to like it because it stirs up the debris a bit which helps them find any food they may have missed, but will spit it out if it isn't to there liking.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM

I have fallen in love with Discus, they are great! I'm going to ge a male friend for mine, she has been spreading eggs all over the plants! Just need to find a bigger tank first! Don't these fish take over your life!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Yeh!! once you have fish your hooked and what starts out as a little hobby soon turns into an obsession.

Good idea to get a mate for her, they like being in pairs and they definitely need a 40 gall. at least.

Is that your Discuss djceri_g in your avatar? She is beautiful!!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Yeh!! once you have fish your hooked and what starts out as a little hobby soon turns into an obsession.

Good idea to get a mate for her, they like being in pairs and they definitely need a 40 gall. at least.

Is that your Discuss djceri_g in your avatar? She is beautiful!!
Yes, that is my Girl! Im bidding on a 180 Liter Juwel tank on ebay at the moment, once that is set up I will get a male, just worried incase they will not get on! I also have a 2 foot breeding tank byt will leave the pair in the community tank for a couple of months, I heard this will make the pair stronger!?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Good Luck on the bidding - hope you get the tank, sounds great.

Yes! It is quite possible that they may not get along or bond if you get another Discuss - it is often best to get a few at the same time when they are young so they can form a bond naturally. But hopefully they will be OK. Good Luck!! She is beautiful that's for sure!!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 PM

Smile Re: Discus

I keep hearing, water change, water change, water change. I do weekly on my none discus tanks, but how often and how much for my Discus. I have had them 3 days. I feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp. I'm going to pick up some Color bits today. They are already pretty used to me, as I spoon feed them and they come right up to the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6214.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1515  

Last edited by Administrator : 07-24-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 AM

At least weekly until grown up. Some people even dont add filters and do water changes every other day... but you get the point. Dont let the tank as it is and expect them to grow fast. I wouldnt change your rutine for the moment until some months to let them get used to your water. hth

"It's better being happy than being right"