Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Where to set up new tank

I'm running out of space and I want to set up a big tank 55 gal or larger to move some of my fish. I have a place in my entry way that doesn't get direct sun, but it does get a lot of light. Would this be ok, or would it produce a lot of alge? What is the best exposure rule for settingup a tank?

Judie
Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Where to set up new tank

well i have a one of my tanks in the same perdicamint. It does have a little bit of algie. But just keep the light of when it is light outside.

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Where to set up new tank

It isn't a steadfast rule of course! but the best position for an aquarium is to place it somewhere away from windows - because of the direct sunlight & being near a window can cause temperature fluctuations, it often can get hotter/colder near a window & if it is open can cause drafts.

If it isn't direct sunlight it should be OK algae wise, but it can also depend on the amount of hours of light it is getting.

It is also a good idea not to have a tank where there is a lot of activity or vibrations (especially at first) eg: people walking past all the time, as it often stresses the fish a lot until they become used to it.

As Josh mentioned, if the tank is getting plenty of natural light, you probably won't need to have the tank light on if you were going to use it as well.