Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

Old 04-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Misconceptions/myths of the Betta!!

Found this great article pertaining to why Betta's are mistreated & the preconceived ideas that surround the poor Betta. PLEASE READ!!!

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article38.html
Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Misconceptions/myths of the Betta!!

That is so sad. Poor little things.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 AM

Bernie, thanks for posting this article, especially since I had just come back from the LFS today with my husband and we got into a discussion about those stupid betta bowls. I told him those things were animal cruelty and I would never put one of my precious pets in one of those. It irks me to see them in those tiny cups and that people actually think that is how they should live. I have overheard LFS employees telling customers its OK for them to be in the smallest of set ups. Those are the ones I want to slap the most! I feel that would be like living in a small bathroom or closet forever, how wrong!! I was shocked to read in the article that there is a myth that you don't have to feed them, are these people on crack? How stupid can people be to think they can get a pet and not have to feed it?? I guess I will never understand the stupidity of the human race, thank God there are animal lovers out there ( like all of us here ) that can at least try to set the record straight and give these creatures the homes they deserve, if not in our own tanks, then in the tanks of friends and family who can be taught the proper way to care for them. Bless all the little abused Bettas....and all the others too!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:09 AM

It just makes me sick every time I see them in those stinking little cups! And a lot of them are not taken care of at all. I have seen VERY dirty cups and those poor little things trying to live in that filth! I have brought it to the employee attention every time I see that, but it probably doesn't do any good. I always wish I could take all of the Bettas home with me.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 AM

Every time I see a female betta in bad condition I usually take it home. But the boys require so much space that I couldn't possibly save them.

The reason I stopped breeding bettas was because I didn't want them to end up in the bad conditions.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 04-06-2008, 10:57 AM

Why is it the fish stores promote this cruelity w/ bettas? It is beyond me why they would. If they sold a 10g tank and the normal fish set up with every betta they sold they would make more money and the betta would have a better quality of life.

I too have made the comment at my LFS about the bettas being kept in cups is not humane... to no avail. Is there a reason animal rights ativists do not get involved?

I believe fish as pets are the most abused creatures we own as so many people do know the proper way to care for their beautiful sea creature and they can be the most complicated pet to keep healthy .
Old 05-12-2008, 01:16 AM

Great article on the Betta. Now I know why my Betta is so content in the 28 gal tank. He is in with fish that don't bite or chase him. The Mollies chase each other buy leave the rest of group alone.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Angry More torture awaits this beautiful fish!

I'm sorry...I know it has been discussed many times regarding the mistreatment of Betta's, but here is just another reason....I found this on eBay! It is a new torturous design for a betta bowl, called "OH BETTA" betta tank, I wouldn't class it as a bowl or tank, but a deathtrap....
http://item.express.ebay.com/NEW-OH-...ZExpressIte m

"OH POOR BETTA" is more like it .....I am disgusted that anyone could invent these preposterous tanks with the notion that a Betta will be happy in them. I honestly do not think that the people who design such things care one little bit about Betta's.

Even a bowl is much better than these tanks! at least in a bowl, the fish can turn around properly and has surface air to breath. These so-called tanks are only 2" in width, which wouldn't allow any room for a betta to turn around or sideways in my opinion and it doesn't appear that the tank allows for any airflow at all.

I don't think anyone should buy these tanks!!!!!in my opinion!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM

That was probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The description said the betta will have tons of fun, Honestly how much fun can you have swimming in a small circle everyday.

We should email this guy telling him our opinion.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM

How freakin' stupid is that?!?! Then they go on to say "He is able to have more fun swimming around than ever." WHAT?!?! He can hardly turn around how in the **** can he have more fun swimming around?!?! IDIOTS!