Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

Old 06-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Misconceptions/myths of the Betta!!

I don’t know if this post is off the topic or not! but whether it is this type of setup or being kept in cups that we are talking about, I guess this discussion is one we have had before…as in this thread. http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=1712&page=2

I believe we all agree that the treatment of Betta’s is an issue of major concern. Maybe Pwat is right and complaining/writing letters does no good, as proven by Dano & others who have taken action and written to companies, but to no avail. Perhaps nothing will change until a worldwide petition is organised, as the one Australia sent to the Japanese Government in relation to their unnecessary/barbaric slaughter of whales, all in the name of science. Over a million people signed it, but did it have any effect…NOT REALLY! That is another issue altogether though. Petitions/letter writing etc. may be a waste of time, and only when it starts affecting the hip pocket of the suppliers etc. will they take notice.

I do think the designers have a lot to answer for (at least it did mention in the advert that you need to use water conditioner), they are only concerned in the profit margin. It is a shame that the company only allows feedback once the item has been purchased and then of course would probably only air the positive feedback….The actual designer company should be held accountable, not just suppliers.

These tanks would probably appeal to many people/children and think that if it is in a store, it must be OK to keep a fish in it. I unfortunately am one of those people who might complain and then probably do nothing on a major scale, but drawing attention to this tank and similar setups may hopefully make others aware how absurd/cruel it is and it may stop people from buying them…which is a start! I did not mean for this to cause another argument between members!

Last edited by Bernie : 06-05-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 PM

I think i shouldn't say anymore. Sorry that i went against you and i think that you are seeing what i am saying wrongly. I am pointing out my age to make some statment, and i understand why this presidential election is important. Sorry that i said you'll get laughed at. I was not saying anyone was cussing at me Cher. I was saying that if people would cuss on this forum then they should be aware of who is around, such as i, a 13 year old girl. I don't care about anyone's age!!! Wow this is really stupid. i'm not saying anymore, and i hope we can settle this in a nice fashion because this is getting really stupid. I understand that expressing one's opinion is important, but by being mad it almost never get you anywhere. If you were stubborn that's another topic. Good night and good bye.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 PM

You have nothing to apologize for, Pwat ....and I hope you are not planning on going anywhere. You have just summarized things very adequately, as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't have said it better myself........ BTW...sometimes maturity has very little to do with age.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Here's a good example of what getting mad and taking action with a company has done in one instance. I was mad and very upset when I left the pet store. I saw some very ill fish suffering w/ ICH on display at the pet store and it was business as usual there. I made a complaint to the humane society about the 6 fw fish tanks that had suffering ill fish w/ ICH for sale at the pet store. The humane society said they would investigate the matter, write a citation, take them to court and fine them if it was warranted. 3 weeks later I returned to the pet store to find no ill fish on display for sale.

Personally it kills me to look at the bettas at the stores. Why not keep 1 betta per tank w/ neon tetras and other very small fish who would do no harm? AT Least keep the bettas in bigger containers, change the water daily ect....
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery

Last edited by StormySkiez : 06-05-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:07 PM

I'm not going any where, i will be in this forum to be with you guys. And yes you are right adults can act like kids sometimes and some kids can act like adults. But most adults don't believe that kids can act like adults . I am really upset that this whole argument happened. Cher how do you know that i was pointing at you? (rheatorical question there) I was making a statement. There does not have to be more words thrown or more bold letters. I mean seriously can't we all just get along?

And stormy that's a really good way to take action. I don't know why but i have given up on action, partly because i'm a kid and not many adults look at kids too seriously these days and sometimes i feel scared to go up like that. I don't have enough gut or nerve to do something like that. And keeping the betta's with other fish is a really great idea but what about food or if the betta eats the eggs, or something happens that harms the fish but not the betta?
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn

Last edited by Pwat : 06-05-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:59 PM

Cher and I got the letter sent to the guy selling the OH BETTA, Hopefully it will make a difference.

I think we should get back on topic before someone leaves.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Well, no response so far and the listing is still sitting there
I think we are getting ignored

Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 AM

Default Re: New Forum for Articles

Tim I was wondering if this forum could set up a petition asking WalMart to stop importing Betta fish that are sold in small containers. I was in my local WalMart today and they had about a dozen Male Betta fish in small containers. Unfortunitally these beautiful fish cannot live together like angles, mollys, etc. Maybe some day man can breed the male betta to live in harmony with each other. What a beautiful tank that would be. A dozen beautiful male bettas swimming together in a 30 gal. tank. Not my dream, but it would be more humain than the way they live now.

I just want to stop the cruelity that the male betta goes through just to make WalMart money. If they stop maybe the rest will also stop this crule practice.

Thanks Sandra
Old 06-27-2008, 05:42 AM

Default Re: New Forum for Articles

Sandygirl..............Try contacting these people:http://www.peta.org/ http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/ http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer

Last edited by Dano : 06-27-2008 at 05:49 AM.