Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Barbs and Danios

Barbs and Danios Questions and comments about barbs and danios.

Old ,

Default Fat tiger barbs

Are tiger barbs known to eat a lot? My tiger barbs can stuff at least 5 pellets in their mouths when they feed and their tummys look like they are going to explode . Is it normal that they look like that They seem to enjoy eating and chasing each other so I let them eat as much as they want. I feed them 2x a day.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Fat tiger barbs

Yes! they will eat a lot just like most fish, they are all piggies BUT it isn't a good idea to let them eat as much as they like - it can be bad for their health as well as producing much more waste which can lead to spikes. Feeding twice a day is good but it should be in moderation, only feed them very small amounts - never more than what they can eat in a minute or 2.

Fish will gorge themselves stupid on food in one sitting if we let them because it is instinct for them to do so - in the wild, they don't know when their next meal will be (may not be for weeks) so they will eat as much as they can at once.

Because they are in an environment where they are fed every day, it is our responsibility to not overfeed them. You also need to keep in mind that a fishes stomach is the size of their eye.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

My 50 gallon tank contains 3 angelfish, 5 tiger barbs, a number of neon tetras, 1 irridecent shark, 2 janitor fish, 1 "small" giant gourami. They all live peacefully in the tank but when it comes to feeding time. The tiger barbs eat all the food and the other fish get very little if i only feed within the 1-2 min. range. What should i do
Old ,

Try feeding at each end of the tank in small amounts at the same time. Use flakes at one end and pellets at the other. If I told you how much and how often I feed my fish, Bernie would wack me in the chops
Old ,
Super Moderator

That can be a big problem when you have slow & fast moving fish in the same tank - I would definitely give Dano's suggestion a try, probably the best option. It would be impossible to try & use a divider to segregate them at feeding times I guess.

Quote:
Posted by Dano: If I told you how much and how often I feed my fish, Bernie would wack me in the chops

Why!! do I need too if I am home I feed my fish 3 times a day but I give them only a very small amount each time.