Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Barbs and Danios

Barbs and Danios Questions and comments about barbs and danios.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 AM

Default zebra danios and eggs/babies

i have 4 of these energetic boogers in 55 gallon they are soo neat to watch at night..i have noticed one getting fat and it is a lil larger than the other 3..i didnt know they were easy to procreate i have a few questions about them

how can i tell if my bigger one is a female??
do they lay eggs or drop live babies like guppies?

ok thats all for now
atleast on this topic
Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: zebra danios and eggs/babies

Hi ses Yes! they are hyper little fish that's for sure. The males are usually smaller/slimmer and the females have a more pronounced stomach. sometimes as well the males have a more golden stripe and the females may look silver.

They lay eggs and the fry hatch in a few dys, if the eggs don't get eaten...They are very prolific breeders.

Good luck!!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:36 AM

They like to scatter their eggs over thick plants. Breeders use mops to catch the eggs and move them to hatching tanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:16 AM

how long will they carry the eggs before laying them? will they be big enough to see?

i have tried to take pictures, but my flash messes the picture up..when i figure out how to turn it off ill post pictures,, i also have a pair of mystery fish i want to identify...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM

You can angle the camera to get rid of the flash in the picture.........

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know the exact time limit, but they can spawn frequently. The female only releases eggs if there is a male present (he induces spawning and they can form a bond) and the conditions are right. They can lay between 200-500 eggs over a few dys (a lot will get eaten) which usually happens in the early morning and may go on for hrs. If eggs don't get released, they get reabsorbed in the body.

The eggs are very small (maybe less the 1mm), you can see them (easier to see them with a magnifying glass) but can easily go unnoticed in the gravel until you syphon the gravel, and then you may find a lot of transparent looking bubbles (which are the eggs) in the syphoned water.

BTW you sound like me with my camera...I still can't work out how to use a lot of the settings.

Last edited by Bernie : 05-07-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM

Bernie, do the eggs of glowlight tetras look like little clear bubbles too? I have 7 glowlights in the 55 and 2 seem to have paired off. The one is a much rounder then the others and the pair stay in the same area all the time. There are tiny little bubbles on the underside of the heater ( its a submersible which I have horizontally) and that is where they constantly hang around. Could those be eggs too? Or is it my wishful thinking?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible that they are eggs Cher, the eggs start to turn darker though once the fry starts to develop. I also get bubbles on my heaters, usually around the suction cup clips so it may be wishful thinking on your part but you never know. BTW tetra eggs are very sensitive to light so they are usually in a darkened area.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 PM

That makes sense, they must be bubbles since I have never noticed them getting darker and they are definately not in a darkened area either

Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 AM

ok, after trying to take pictures, i managed to get a non camera shy red tail shark, bullying everyone to be in pictures, not the 3 plump danios interacting and chaseing with the skinny one, and not to interested with each other.

as soon as my husband gets home im gonna try and get him to help me hook up to post what pics i could get of my mystery fish...i have notice my RT shark is VERY aggressive towards them.