Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds

Old ,

Default Fancy Goldfish

I was into my lfs today and looked at so many fish. Trying to decide what I wanted in my cycled 10 gal tank. I no that you people will think I am nuts, but I kept getting drawn back to a Fancy Goldfish. They are so bright in colour and swim at a relaxed pace. The only other relaxed swimmers where great big fish that wouldn't be suitable in my tank. Goldfish swim the same way my male Beatta swims. So relaxed and carefree. They just swim around looking beautiful.

Would a 10 gal tank be big enough to raise a Fancy Goldfish I no that they can get pretty big.

If anyone thinks it is advisable then I need to no some names, so I can try and get my lfs to get me one.
________
extreme vaporizer review

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Fancy Goldfish

Hi Sandy

You could start a small goldfish out in the 10 gallon, but he/she will probably outgrow it and need to be moved into a bigger tank but some goldfish get bigger then others, so it will really depend on the specific type you are interested in. Some types of goldfish are more sensitive then others or have special needs, so everything you do for this tank would be dependent on the goldfish you choose. Goldfish are very messy/big waste producers, so you will need a bigger filter then usual ~ for a 10 gallon tank, get a filter that would go for at least a 20 - 30 gallon. Also, when you do water changes, take out 50% of the water every week and no heater.

Some kind of Fantail would probably work well for you, such as an Oranda or Black Moore. You can look into the bubble eye types, but they are much more sensitive to their environment and need special care ~ they constantly graze and need larger sized gravel because they tend to choke on it, no plastic plants at all and no decorations with any kind of sharp edge because they can burst an eyeball, so stick with silk plants. I have no substrate or plants in my goldfish tank at all and they seem to be happier that way.

Old ,

Thanks Cher,

The filter that I have in my 10 gal tank came from my 28 gal tank. It is rated for 30 t0 40 gal. so I guess it will be alright for a 10 gal. The gravel that I have in the tank is very smooth green stone with no sharp edges. The decorations that I am making are just smooth black stones, that I am making into different designs. So far my tank is just floresent green and black. No plastic plants unless I can get black ones.

Do goldfish need a place to hide? And right now I have a heater in my empty tank that reads about 78 F. Should I trun off the heater before I add a goldfish. Thanks for your advice.
________
herbal health shop

Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
Thanks Cher,

The filter that I have in my 10 gal tank came from my 28 gal tank. It is rated for 30 t0 40 gal. so I guess it will be alright for a 10 gal. The gravel that I have in the tank is very smooth green stone with no sharp edges. The decorations that I am making are just smooth black stones, that I am making into different designs. So far my tank is just floresent green and black. No plastic plants unless I can get black ones.

Do goldfish need a place to hide? And right now I have a heater in my empty tank that reads about 78 F. Should I trun off the heater before I add a goldfish. Thanks for your advice.
The filter you already have is perfect and will keep that water clean

From my own experience, I find that goldfish don't need anywhere to hide, I havent seen them being shy, in fact they seem to be pretty bold since they are a bottomless pit and always hungry LOL! ( Goldfish are little piggies ) You can decorate of course, I dont think they mind

Ditch the heater, they don't require heated water and although it won't kill them, it can actually shorten their lifespan to be in heated water.

I am sure you will find your little goldfish quite personable and entertaining, I find them to be similar to Betta's in that they each really do have their own personality

Old ,

Thanks Cher I will ditch the heater. That should reduce my electric bill I am looking for the right goldfish and I will no him/her when I find it.
________
Toyota Avalon specifications

Old ,

I finally got two very small goldfish. They are Calcos. One is orange with a black eye and black Dorsal Fin. It looks like he has a mohawk hair do. The other one is Orange, black and white. They both have fan tails.

The ones that I was looking at the other day was a Lionhead, and the other had a bubble on it's head. They where pretty big and my lfs said they would get to big for my 10 gal tank in a short time as they where already about 4+ inches long. So I went for the small ones and I can watch them grow. I bought 2 and if they both grow I will have to get another tank, but I think that will take some time so for now they have lots of room to swim.

My lfs said the more I feed them the faster they would grow
________
Honda CB500 twin specifications

Old ,

I looked in the Gallery and could not find a Calco goldfish. Mine are more in like the Shubenkin, but they have a fantail and the one is orange and black, the other one is the three colours. I supose there are many different goldfish as they mus interbread
________
vaporgenie

Old ,

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Minnows,...20Goldfish.htm
They have nice pictures and basic info

Old ,

Thanks for the link. I found lots of pictures of Calicos. I am glad that I got small ones. With the life span of a Goldfish I will get to have them for a very long time. Infact I might have to make provisions for them in my will. That will bug the kids
________
volcano vaporizers

Old ,
Super Moderator

Congrats Sandy on your new little goldfish...they sound adorable.

The varieties available, apart from interbreeding often has more to do with the fish being genetically modified/altered to produce all the different looking/coloured/shaped fish, but we usually don't know what has been GM'd and what hasn't.

Last edited by Bernie : at .