Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds

Old ,

Default Re: Fancy Goldfish

Congrtas Sandy....Calicos are SO cute!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

The little Calicos sure are smart. Already the minute they see me they are looking for food.
________
Ford Model U picture

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

My little Calicos are so sweet. I bought Goldfish Pellets for them, but the pellets are to big for them until they grow a little. My question is a friend brought me some Betta Flakes and I already have food for my Betta. Are the Beta flakes good enough for Goldfish I spilt some tonight and the dogs loved it. they licked it up before I could get the vacume out. There must be something good in it. I no that in my 28 gal tank they all eat anything that I put in. I try to feed a variety, Color Bites for color, Blood Worm for a treat, Betta Bits for the Betta (they all eat it) and Flakes for Small Fry (he/she has trouble with the Granules. Just don't want to starve my goldfish. Hopefully they can survive on Betta Flakes. I do put in some Blood Worm from time to time.
________
BMW K1200GT history

Old ,

I think it would be OK to feed them the flakes temporarily, just to finish them off, but I believe you should have species specific food to feed, since different fish have different nutritional needs.
See if you can break the goldfish pellets in half or possibly crush them up a lil bit in a plastic bag with a hammer or rolling pin, might get you through until they are bigger

Old ,

Thanks Cher,
I will brake the pellets with hammer into the size of food that my little goldfish can eat. They try so hard to eat it and take it in then spit it out until they get it soft enough. Do goldfish have teeth, I know they have big mouths. Is it true the more you feed them the faster they grow. They look so lonley in a 10 gal tank because of their size. Is it just a matter of time till they out grow their 10 gal tank I have a friend that has a pond. Would Fantail Goldfish live in a pond with Koi Fish when they out grow their 10 gal tank. My trouble is I get so attached to annimals that I want to protect them and give them the best life that is possible.
________
Jaguar Mark 1

Old ,

Eventually that old goldfish will grow out, yes. In probably a year-5 years. And yeah you will get attached to the suckers. Fantails, comets, and i think other types of goldfish can be put into ponds. Good luck with the fish. And can you call one of them Junky please. For one of my goldfish that lived through 2 years and was the cutest little minature sized koi ever! Thanks Sandy.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,
Super Moderator

They do have teeth Sandy and it is true that the more food/nutrition a fish gets the faster it will grow usually.

Another good thing to use to grind up fish pellets etc. (I use it), but I have completely forgotten the name of it.....you know those little marble/china bowls with a roundish stick (not really a stick I guess) that you use to grind up cloves of garlic etc., they work a treat. Just wish I could remember what they are called.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Thanks PWAT I will name the one goldfish (Junky) it is so sweet. It has a black top fin and lookes like he/she had a bad hair day. I guess that I will handle their over size in hopefully 5 years. Maybe by then I will have my own pond. How long do Goldfish live Today I was at WalMart and saw some Goldfish that where about 2-3 inches long for 12.98 They where different then mine they had bumps on their heads. They were 3-4 times bigger than mine. So wouldn't have been comfortable in my tank. I don't think. My little buddies will grow and I hope it takes a long time. I need another name for the other one.

Bernie the tool that you suggested is Petsil I think. One used it to grind spices. I have one that I do not use to grind anything. At this point it has just been a decoration in my kitchen. Finally it will be put to a good use. JUNKY and ? will be happy campers.
________
List of engines

Old ,

Yep, it's a mortar & pestle

There is really no concrete evidence as to how long they actually live, it more or less really depends on how well they are taken care, with 15 years being the average, or so Ive read

Last edited by suppleupagus : at .
Old ,

Wow I was searching on the Internet for Goldfish average ages and I came across a video of a 42 year old goldfish!!!!
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )