Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Breeding

Breeding Questions and comments about breeding tropical fish

Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Smile Re: Eggs??

If they don't fall off like air bubbles would than yes there probable eggs. I'd put them in another tank asap as the other fish might eat them. As far as I am understanding if the eggs are white they have a fungus & are no good, eggs should be clear. That is if eggs are eggs. I just learned that is what it is with rainbow eggs. You can pick them off if there white or leave them. I don't think it will hurt anything thing if you leave them. I right now am trying to spawn 2 of my rainbows , because I'm not too sure how to tell the good eggs from the bad. I will leave any eggs that collect on the mop & let the person thats getting it take care of that. Good luck & i hope that they are eggs. Please be sure & let us know if there are & you get fry.
4-Bosemani
4-Splendida sp
4-P ivantsoffi-blue eye
2-Lacustris
1-G multisquamatus
1-Parkensoni
2-Diamond 2-Sepae Tetra
1-Buenos Aires Tetra
1-Blue Tetra 3-Brissel Nose Pleco 2-Kamaka 2-Duboulayi 1-Chilatherian sentaniensis 2-Glossolepis 1-ramuensis 1-marci 4-Celebes 2-Parva 2-Dorityi 2-Bleheri 30-cherry shrimp & some snails
Old 05-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Eggs??

Bernie is right in order for the eggs to be fertilized the male and female would have to be in the tank at the same time. Cory's breed during rainy weather maybe your water change triggered something.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Well, the eggs got all fuzzed over, so I had to ditch them. If/when they spawn again, I think I will put them in the net I had and put the right in front of the filter so they will have a continuous flow of water over them. Then once they hatch, I can move them into the little breeder tank thingie I got. I think they werent getting enough current in there, even with it being near the filter outake. So I will hopefully be given a second chance to try this again, I think it would be really cool to have a few little catlets to raise

Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM

Sorry about the eggs, but it is exciting because you got them in the first place. This was my first lesson in Cory reproduction. Keep up the good work and hopefully you'll get more that do hatch!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks Fortyanna
I was going to post here again today, I did my water changes yesterday and the lone female adolfoi was laying eggs again last night. I saw the coolest thing too, she was holding the egg between her bottom fins and carefully places the egg on the underside of a plant leaf. It won't hatch, since there's no male, but I think that is really neat that I got to see that. She was moving slow and calculating exactly where she was going to place the egg. I think it helps that she is a larger cory and the gravel is black so it was really easy to see. Now if only the albinos would try again...

Old 05-26-2008, 02:01 PM

Here's something I found out about Cory eggs:

Quote:
Sometimes Corydoras lay eggs on your plant leaves. Cory eggs are white -- unlike most fish eggs.
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish,%20Corydoras.htm

Interesting!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Have you researched what the cory fry eat when they hatch?

That was my problem, I was so excited that I had eggs I forgot to research what they ate and sadly they all died.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 05-29-2008, 01:55 AM

Well, I hadnt thought of that until you said something, so then I did I also live down the street from the lfs, so getting supplies quick usually isnt a problem. It's a blessing and a curse to live that close Hopefully they'll spawn again, I read to do p.w change and refill with cooler water to get them to do that so ill try it on Friday ( water change day ) and we'll see how it goes

Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM

I managed to get a pic of my female Adolfoi Cory cat carrying an egg around before dropping it into the gravel - it's in my picture gallery since I can't figure out how to post a thumbnail in the forum Check it out!