Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Barbs and Danios

Barbs and Danios Questions and comments about barbs and danios.

Old ,

Default Shy Cherry Barbs

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to cherry barbs. I've had FW tanks for about 13yrs but this is the first time I've had cherry barbs.

I have a newly cycled 75gal tank. In the tank is black neon tetras, kuhli loaches [ my babies] ghost shrimp and Gary the mystery snail. My oldest named the snail after sponge bob's pet snail.

This past Monday I got 6 male cherry barbs. I researched the net and found people that had all males and it seemed to be fine. I had read that these little guys are shy, but I never see mine out of their hiding spots. My loaches are wild and to my surprise the barbs hang out with the loaches all the time. They even sleep together during the day.

We're running a penguine biowheel and a classic eheim. The substrate is sand. There's a black back ground on the tank and plants that drape across the top of the water and many places for the barbs to hide and that's what they do, hide all the time. They definitely have a nice shaded area and one likes to hang in the big plant in that corner.

What can I do to help these shy boys? Or am I just being impatient? I can see some of them peeking at me from undeneath a tree stump and when I peek back they don't run away. Not that fish run though. I take that as a good sign. I'd like to see some action in the tank. Looks like I've wound up with a pretty docile bunch with the exception of my crazy loaches.

Thanks for any advice and thank you for allowing me to join.

Hugs to ya...
Old ,

Default Re: Shy Cherry Barbs

Hi Beth...I've never kept Barbs, but the Cherry Barbs are very pretty, and have a nice temperament. Maybe they just need a little time.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Yeah, I think they prolly just need more time to get used to their new home, it might take a while, but they'll come around eventually

We used to have a Gary as well! How funny, kids love Spongebob, heck, I like it too, lol!

Post some pics of your tank~ would love to see!

Old ,
Super Moderator

Hi Beth I have kept cherry barbs before (mixture of male/female) and they can be very shy, although I never had a problem because mine were in a species specific tank and they were always swimming around in the open.

It can depend on the other species of fish they are kept with as well...I think having them with the black neons may also have something to do with it, and I personally wouldn't mix them with tetras. As the others have said though, they may just need a bit more time before they feel really safe and to get used to their companions. Cherries do love to stay amongst the plants though.
Old ,

Well, then we'll just have to until Beth becomes stricken with MTS and we can help her decide which fish should go in with the tetras in the new setup!

Old ,

I'm thinking I made a boo boo in mixing the two. Three of the little guys did come out yesterday and explore a bit and 2 of them stayed very close to their hiding spots.

I know the 3rd one and I played fisy peek a boo. I swear it was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

What I find so curious is that they live with the kuhli loaches whom I call my wild crew. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think since the loaches are the party crew the barbs would be scared and stay away from them or at least run away when the loaches came near.

So far the blk neons are very peaceful and stay together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Hi Beth I have kept cherry barbs before (mixture of male/female) and they can be very shy, although I never had a problem because mine were in a species specific tank and they were always swimming around in the open.

It can depend on the other species of fish they are kept with as well...I think having them with the black neons may also have something to do with it, and I personally wouldn't mix them with tetras. As the others have said though, they may just need a bit more time before they feel really safe and to get used to their companions. Cherries do love to stay amongst the plants though.
Old ,

I've been wanting to ask you what MTS is. The only thing I can think of is the trumpet snails.

I saw some glowlight tetras that were absolutely gorgeous. The ones with the orange stripe, not the danio glofish.

But now I'm wrestling with whether I should get some more cherry barbs for my little boys to make them feel more secure. I should probably wait though since they haven't even been here a week yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppleupagus View Post
Well, then we'll just have to until Beth becomes stricken with MTS and we can help her decide which fish should go in with the tetras in the new setup!
Old ,

I admit it. I love sponge bob. For the most part I don't like to watch cartoons, but I make an exception with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppleupagus View Post
Yeah, I think they prolly just need more time to get used to their new home, it might take a while, but they'll come around eventually

We used to have a Gary as well! How funny, kids love Spongebob, heck, I like it too, lol!

Post some pics of your tank~ would love to see!
Old ,

MTS.... Multiple Tank Syndrome!!! Most of us have it!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
MTS.... Multiple Tank Syndrome!!! Most of us have it!!!

Unfortunately due to health issues I have to be careful about how many tanks I set up. I have 5 going right now and that's the limit. I can't believe I forgot to tell ya'll in my intro that I have a dwarf puffer tank here in the bedroom.

One of the tanks is a QT that I'll probably tear down once the 75gal is all stocked.

I swear I sent you guys a post apologizing for vanishing from the forum due to a bad case of strep throat. The thing must be out there wandering in cyber space.

The cherry barbs are doing great. They have joined the neon tetras in swimming and exploration. They bump eachother now and then in typical fish style but there's no terrorizing going on so far.

I even caught one of the barbs and tetras sleeping together this morn.

I have 3 glowlight tetras in QT. They were the only 3 at the store and they had been there at least 2wks. They're the prettiest glowlights I've ever seen. I can't believe someone didn't notice those little jewels. I'll be able to get them 3-4 more buddies from a good petsmart.
These guys came out of strore water with nitrates that couldn't even register on my test kit! I'm not going to add any friends to the QT with them. I want to make sure they're ok. I've had them since Sunday and they seem to be doing great. Poor babies.

I guess I've written a book here.

Hugs, Beth