Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Gravel and Decorations

Gravel and Decorations Questions and comments about gravel and decorations

Old ,

Default lil advice on setting up my tank...

ok i went shopping today and bought the terracotta pots..do i need to soak them or anything? also the slate i bought colored terracotta tile to break and stuff.. does it need to soak any?

one last thing?? i have some drift wood im gonna add.. since im not gonna add fish for a while( few weeks) can i add it to the tank now( i syliconed it to a slate to keep it down) and do water changes as the water darkens or should i soak it in another water source?

ok, i think thats it..if not ill be sure you ask!!

thanks!!!!
Old ,

Default Re: lil advice on setting up my tank...

Hi Nicole...I take it you had fun shopping. Terracotta pots don't need soaking. The driftwood does, if you don't want a lot of tannins in the water. Some people do like the look of the ˙ellowish" water. I suppose it's a matter of taste. I'm not sue about coloured terracotta tile??? Maybe someone else has used it....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

thanks it was fun
.. i think i made a boo boo though.. i siliconed some silk plants to rocks and after a couple of hours thought it was dried and started adding it to see where i wanted stuff, and the silocone i guess wasnt dry enough and the plants came aloose. with tthis mess with any of the lil water i have in there and when i add more..its aquarium safe silocone.do i need to rinse everything off thats in there?

the tile isnt looking so good...to square and breaks into pieces a lil too small.maybe i need more silk plants to hide the corners of it.im gonna try that and see..
Old ,

You should boil your driftwood for about 15 min.

I would just wash the pots and slate to get the loose dirt and dust off.

Good luck and post some pics once you get everything set up.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

ill try and boil it its really large pieces, if i cant , i think i might go with a lot of plants. i was also thinking maybe a large hurricane latern top with bubbles coming out, like a volcano effect. that way i have bubbles, but with a surrounding to keep the water not so busy...make sense?
Old ,

I have talked with other aquarists about boiling driftwood and everyone seems to agree that is doesn't make much difference. You would have to boil it for a long period to get a significant amount of tannin out of the wood. When the water gets too dark for you, do a water change and run some activated carbon in the filter. Boiling may work better on different kinds of wood, but boiling a large piece might be too much of a hassle. As for gluing stuff to put in the water, I have found the fast acting epoxies to work well. Glue some pebbles and such around the edges of the tile to break up the man made appearance.

I have seen lantern globes in tanks with a Betta in them and it looked pretty cool.

ps........my remarks on boiling driftwood is based on opinion and may not be actual fact!

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

well, when i suggested boiling the wood, to my husband he just laughed at me..they are really big pieces,maybe i should cut off some of the ends.i havent decided on the wood,id love to add some but it seems like sooooo much work ...im considering just lots of plants with the pots and slates hidden in it..decisions, my husband told me last night i have it bad and he has never seen me this obsessed..he wanted to know if i was eatting the fish food,and when to expect me to start walking around making fishy faces...lol

what kind of fast drying epoxies can go in there,i dont wanna use something poisonous,but that sounds like away to make the slate work, something like superglue?
Old ,

Not sure how large of pieces you have, but maybe you could use a turkey roaster and straddle it across two burners. And if you don't have turkey roaster, it would be a good excuse to zip over to Williams-Sonoma and buy one. *Go the the All-Clad or Calphalon or maybe the Mauviel Copper if you want to get super fancy.*

I picked up some driftwood at an auction recently and I am most likely will have to boil it to make sure theres no bacteria from previous tank in there... I thought I was getting a good deal on some cool pieces but then I realized that I have no idea what tank it came from and if it was a healthy tank or not...
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

that scares me to being we picked it all up from the river..bacteria is something i dont need.
no the two pieces i have are massive, i prob would need a small kiddie pool to soak them in..they would cover the majority of the bottom of my tank, but they are gorgous.i have one piece i broke i might beable to fit into a very large pot...
ill look for the battery for my cameria and try to get some pictures posted..
dont ya just hate when you "find" a great deal,and it gives you more headaches them its worth..
Old ,

Most of the two part epoxies are harmless after they are cured. I used several brands to mount fragged coral polyps on bases to be used in marine aquariums with no ill effects. I have never boiled driftwood. I figured that the drying out killed the parasites and the bacteria on the stuff couldn't be much different than the bacteria already in the tank.

Again: this is only my opinion and should be taken as such.