Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds

Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Default Common Goldfish

Before I decided to go all-out and get a nice tank and go tropical I was considering getting a goldfish. That's what started me down this road. I began researching about one month ago and my interest in topical schooling fish unfolded from there.

.....But I was just wondering if common goldfish can be found anymore. When I went to the pet-store all they had were Fancy types, commets, and koi. What kind of pet store doesn't even carry a common goldfish? I remember when I was in 4th grade and I won one at a school halloween carnival.

I got my hands full in getting my new topical tank off the ground but I still might get a goldfish in the future. Anybody seen those bio-orbs? I bet one or two would go well in a 16 gallon bio-orb. As long as the goldfish was small I bet you could put a small school of white clouds in with 'em. I wonder if the goldfish would grow up and eat them or leave them alone since they were raised around them. Sounds like an experiment. *LoL*
Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Common Goldfish

I think the Common Goldfish gets a little too big for a 16 gal. tank...I think they get to about 16 inches...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
I think the Common Goldfish gets a little too big for a 16 gal. tank...I think they get to about 16 inches...
I took this from animal-world:
Size - Weight:
The environment the Common Goldfish is kept in is a determining factor on whether your pet grows to its full potential size or is somewhat smaller. In an average 10 gallon tank, if well cared for and not crowded, they can grow up to about 4 inches (10 cm), while in a larger uncrowded tank they can grow larger generally reaching about 7 or 8 inches (17.78 - 20.32 cm). If kept in a spacious pond they can reach over 12 inches (30+ cm), with some hobbyist reporting their Common Goldfish reaching up to a whopping 18" (45+ cm)!

Is it true that goldfish grow to their evironment? .... or do they outgrow their environment? I still might get one of those 16 gal bio-orbs in the future.

Last edited by anabolism : 08-22-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spell
Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 PM

Yes, I have heard that theory...Fish will only grow as large as the tank allows. In my opinion, a fish that should grow too big for the tank that it's in, will be stunted, and not live it's normal lifespan.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 08-23-2008, 12:42 AM

Ive read that fish will only grow to the size of their tank BUT that their growth will be stunted and they wont live as long or possibly as healthy as they might under best conditions.

of course, people have also told me that its just fine to keep a gold fish in a mason jar
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Sharon and personally believe that if a fish has the potential to grow to a large size, that potential shouldn't be hampered. I also believe that stunting their natural growth must surely be detrimental health-wise and does shorten their life. Their normal lifespan is anywhere from 10 to 30 years, but rarely get to live out their full/natural life in small tanks, which to me is sad.

Besides the space issue re: growth, these fish require a lot of oxygen and the bigger the surface area the better it will be for them. They also are one of the messiest fish on the planet and bigger tanks are much easier to maintain in regards to water quality...just my thoughts anyway!

Quote:
Originally posted by anabolism:.....But I was just wondering if common goldfish can be found anymore. When I went to the pet-store all they had were Fancy types, commets, and koi. What kind of pet store doesn't even carry a common goldfish? I remember when I was in 4th grade and I won one at a school halloween carnival.

Re: you're first ?...I think the answer might be supply and demand, nobody seems to want "common" anymore, now that there are so many different fancier strains of goldfish being produced. The Comet has probably replaced the common goldfish, despite being fairly similar.

Last edited by Bernie : 08-23-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 PM

I noticed that on alot of tv shows have goldfish swimming around in tiny bowls, this gives the viewers the impression that it's ok.

Before I joined this site I used to keep multiple goldfish in tiny bowls. They all died withing the day.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 08-23-2008, 03:59 PM

This year I'm launching a small crusade at school whereas I will have all of my students read and discuss an article about betta care and I guess I could also add goldfish care as well. We generally do read articles about basic aquarium set up and maintenance...

The only way to stop this nonsense of bettas in vases without food and goldfish in tiny bowls is by educating people, so I guess this is one muscle I can flex
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 08-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Good for you, GS. I just got back from the fish store, and there was a woman buying two common plecos for a 10 gal. goldfish tank, with no heater. I saved those two, when I informed her they needed a heater, but I know there are many more who are sold with no questions asked....Funny thing is, when I told her how big they get, she was going to get them anyway, but she changed her mind when she found out she'd have to buy a heater.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank

Last edited by Sharon : 08-25-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Good for you GL. I have two goldfish in a 10 gal tank and at the present they are very happy. I have a Beta in my 30 gal community tank and he is doing just great. He has a cave to sit in and just hang out and watch his buddies. No stress. Schools should teach children that because fish they are cold blooded they still feel stress when they are out of their enviorment. Just like people. They have the same survival instincts that we all have. Somehow we have to stop the sale of Bettas in small bowles and I think we have to start at WalMart to start the education. WalMart is a careing and compasionate coroperation so they might be the leaders in stopping the cruelity to Beta fish.

Good luck
________
Toyota Chaser

Last edited by sandygirl : 01-29-2011 at 01:15 AM.