Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Odd Balls , Puffers, Sharks and Predators

Odd Balls , Puffers, Sharks and Predators Questions and comments about odd balls, puffers, sharks and predators.

Old ,

Default Re: awsome

Is feeding it mice really a bad thing?

Would they not feed on unsuspecting small mammals in the wild? Im just thinking of the best way to recreate its natual feeding habits as much as possible
Old ,

I think it's cruel because the mouse has no where to hide or fight for survival.

At least when a mouse is in a reptile tank it has a fighting chance.

Plus it would make a mess in the tank.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

I know I am going to get bashed for saying this. I find people that feed live creatures to anything for the sadistic thrill of watching a "kill" are sick cruel individuals. Creatures that absolutly require live food to survive can be fed in a humane way without making the act an exibit for entertainment.
Old ,

well i feed crickets ans other insects to my lizard and fish but i dont find it inhumane i mean i give the a healthy a delicious meal better then anything they have probably gotten and yes they are going to die but they are kinda breed for that but i agree no fish eating mice

Last edited by jimi : at . Reason: forgot peice
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I know I am going to get bashed for saying this. I find people that feed live creatures to anything for the sadistic thrill of watching a "kill" are sick cruel individuals. Creatures that absolutly require live food to survive can be fed in a humane way without making the act an exibit for entertainment.

I agree 100%. I can not stand to feed the puffer live snails. I will eventually do away w/ the snail feeding altogether when I tear down the 10g tank.

I wish I would have read a better feeding article then what I did when I started because their are much better choices of hard shelled foods for my puffers then live snails.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

i dont find it cruel to give my snails to the puffers is it cruel when they grab one in nature? i consider it natural order and lets face it every thing you give them that they dont kill is something some one still killed i see snails a fine to feed puffers i will also give them mussels and small clams that live in near by water ways ( there invasive species and way over propulated )
Old ,

To each his own. I'm not cut out to feed live foods. In my house I don't worry about what live foods my fish would eat. There is plenty of very good food at the grocery store in the fish section and fish store to keep my puffers healthier then in the wild. I only feed snails to keep the teeth trimmed because it was the only thing recommended when I started in the hobby.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Please..............My point was that feeding live food for fun and entertainment is sick! Feeding natural or live food to creatures that require it is the accepted norm and does not need to be justified unless you are faced with total fanatics that are against almost everything. Is feeding fry "live baby brine shrimp" or infusoria evil?? I think not! The examples are endless. I cannot tolerate sick individuals that kill for fun!!
Old ,

i agree killing for fun is not a healthy attitude thus why i have never feed anything pinkys or anything like that
Old ,

but i will admit i will feed a crayfish to my puffers every once and a while i dont watch them eat it but they do love them and it helps with the beak so ill stick a small crayfish in there here and there