Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old ,

Default Back-up heater?

I live in a region where we have at least one good storm related power outage per year.... usually in the fall or winter. This of course poses a problem for keeping a tropical temperature for my tank during an outage. Is there any tank heater out there that would be suitable for such an emergency?
Old ,

Default Re: Back-up heater?

You dont need a particular kind of heater, you just need a power source that is not affected by the national grid. I would suggest a 'suitcase generator', they are run from petrol and the new ones are VERY economical and quiet. You can get news ones for around 60/$120.

Take a look at the link below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILENT-CAMPING...d=p3286.c0.m14

Im from the UK but im pretty sure you can buy from any worldwide EBay site
Old ,
ferret

what about a computer UPS?
Old ,

Are they not expensive?
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen View Post
You dont need a particular kind of heater, you just need a power source that is not affected by the national grid. I would suggest a 'suitcase generator', they are run from petrol and the new ones are VERY economical and quiet. You can get news ones for around 60/$120.

Take a look at the link below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILENT-CAMPING...d=p3286.c0.m14

Im from the UK but im pretty sure you can buy from any worldwide EBay site
Thanks for the idea but it says it only has 4.5 hours of continuous runtime. A good storm will have our power out for anywhere from 2-4 days. This happens at least once per year. There has to be something out there meant for tanks in these circumstances. Perhaps battery powered would be much more convienient.
Old ,

I'm not sure Ana; I live in northeastern PA in the Allegheny mountains. We too run into power outages up here and your question has been on my mind for some time as winter is fast approaching. (Already, our leaves are changing!)

I'm interested to see what suggestions people have.

The heater that Mgreen suggested is something I might look into, but you're right. Sometimes our power is out for a day or more.

Maybe we should look into small generators?
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

The suitcase generators run for 5hours PER TANK, as long as you have a supply of petrol you can make it go as long as you want it to. I would suggest keeping a barrel in the garage or something in case you have a long outage.

I know someone that live in remote parts of Switzerland that use this kind of generator on a bigger scale to supply electricity for the whole house
Old ,

The problem that I find with multiple tanks is that you do need a fairly large generator to run all tanks...I've been checking out 3000watt generators. I need at least 1000watts to run tanks, and I'd like to be able to make tea!!! We sometimes lose power during a storm, but it's usually restored in a couple of hours. Rarely, if the storm does a lot of damage to power lines, mostly an ice storm, it would be a lot longer. It is a worry...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories

Last edited by Sharon : at .
Old ,

We've had storms two years in a row where we had no power for 4 days.

If you needed to heat the tank water to around 75 degrees F and you only had one tank to heat it seems to me a battery powered device would be the ticket. I'll have to go into some of the pet stores and ask their advice regarding this. I'll bet there is something battery powered that can be used specifically for tanks. I hope so because a full scale generator around here will run $500 and $1000 for good ones. I don't have that kind of cash.

Last edited by anabolism : at . Reason: spell
Old ,

Thus far this is all I've found on the net.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/eme...weroutages.htm