Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tetras

Tetras Questions and comments about tetras

Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Diamond tetras

One thing that I've noticed, is that I need to feed these at least once a day, sometimes twice a day. Much different from my scavengers; I could dump sinking wafers in there once a day or once every other day and they always seemed to be fat & happy.

These tetras get nippy and aggressive to each other when they get hungry. I've always thought tetras were rather 'high strung'. We had a couple black skirts when I was a kid and those two always terrorized all the other fish in the tank. They probably would have done better in a school.

But anyway, yeah, if you notice that they're getting nippy, just feed them

Originally Posted by mgreen
What are Diamond tetra like to keep Greensleeves? I got 6 peppered corys from my LFS and they accidently put a diamond tetra in the bag so i have one on its own. Im thinking of getting a small school of them, would you recommend?
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Diamond tetras

ok cool, unfortunately I only have 1, i think ill be getting a school of around 10 or so

40 Gallon Tank - Currently Cycling
Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 AM

I also have to feed my tetras twice a day (they are alot nippier than I thought they would be)
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 AM

Seriously. I've had these guys a week... I've watched them in the store for a month and they were always fast moving, high enery fish and for the first three days that I had them, they were indeed the 'peaceful schooling fish' that I'd read about & that the store owner assured me that they were... but then they stared getting REALLY super nippy all of a sudden... so I read up a little bit and found that SOME tetras can be nippy when hungry, so I started to feed them twice a day and that seems to help... BUT they still nip at each other. Not as often or as aggressively, but they still nip.

NOT peaceful. Bits of their fins are missing! I'm used to shoals of cories flowing across the bottom of my tank. These diamonds are beautiful but they seem chaotic compared to what I'm used to having. Maybe its just me, but do all tetras nip? If this is normal, I'll just let it be. I thought maybe it was territorial but it seems to be the two big ones chasing all the other ones around.
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 AM

It does seem that most of the tetras play rough among them selves. My Long Fins constantly tumble. The long flowing fins look a little ragged, but they seem not to mind. I have seen big schools of neons constantly harass each other. I think it is just a part of their nature.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Hrmm alright. I was concerned because the behavior arose from total peace & trainquility. Their behavior seems to correspond to their hunger somewhat... so I do feed them twice daily.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
Maybe its just me, but do all tetras nip? If this is normal, I'll just let it be.

My 4 whiteskirt tetras are doing very well in my 20g tank. All the fish are. I have had no nipping issues since the first week of QT. My neon tetras have not ever nipped each other. I feed once daily with 1 day fasting w/ no problems. I'm having a change of heart on fasting as I'm not liking skipping a day. I'm not sure it does any good for small tropical fish.

Perhaps your Diamonds will feel more at ease and quit the nipping after they have become used to their new home. Did I miss how many you have Greensleeves?
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old 08-30-2008, 12:27 AM

I had six - then the nipping started, so I added four more- but today, they are ALL chasing each other around and nipping. Even the danios are hiding in the plants.

I can't control their behavior, so I guess I'll just wait it out. Not like I can add prozac to the water but I've got a bet going with DH that they'll all kill each other off or die of wound infections before Yule .

Heh. and I wanted a peaceful tank! I should have stuck with all cory cats
Old 08-30-2008, 10:18 AM

I'm surprised in a 75g tank they would be so nippy. I hope they mellow out. Any chance of pics of the tanks GS? Do you have a album here?
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old 08-30-2008, 01:47 PM

I've tried taking pics of it but I keep getting a really bad glare from flash off of its front. I'm going to talk to a friend of mine this weekend who is a professional photog and get some tips on how to avoid that...

so I'll post pics as soon as I can get around the glare problem.

... and, twenty minutes after feeding, they were all happy as clams. No nipping at all. Schooling peacefully. I'm really thinking the nipping is tied into hunger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySkiez View Post
I'm surprised in a 75g tank they would be so nippy. I hope they mellow out. Any chance of pics of the tanks GS? Do you have a album here?