Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Gravel and Decorations

Gravel and Decorations Questions and comments about gravel and decorations

Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Crystals as Decor

I was thinking about finding and using some largish crystal formations in my 10g, possibly quartz. Is this ok to use with fish, or could it be toxic? I have tetras, an otto, and a betta in this tank. It's established, and all the fish are healthy/happy.

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

S
Old 09-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Crystals as Decor

Quartz is a form of glass and won't dissolve in water. Where would you find large quartz formations at reasonable prices..........Most of the visible formations of quartz have been gobbled up by rock collectors and entrepreneurs.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM

Wow, I guess I'm showing my ignorance about more than just fishkeeping. I'm just going by what I've seen at our County Fair and other Arts and Crafts "fairs" we have around here. Maybe I need to look in a different direction for decor. Thanks for the response, Dano

S
Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 PM

An alternative to crystals may be glass. A LFS in a former town of mine used to sell chunks (fist-sized and larger) of colored glass -- not sure from where they obtained it -- but it was beautiful and in a wide variety of colors. It was inexpensive as well. Average size of the pieces was roughly the size of an American football. Again, I'm not sure what their source was or where you would locate such items in your own commmunity. Maybe they just had some buddies in the glass busines... idk.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 AM

for chrystals go to a rock store (lapidary supply) and see if you can pick up some uncut geods, some of these will be solid inside due to being a type of agate (which look very nice polished), others will be chrystals of different varieties (quartz, amethist, or other crystals). uncut geods can sometimes be purchased for a buck or two and then take to your local college or boys club (the boys club in Albany OR had a full scale rock hobby area in the early 80s and it got alot of use from me when I was a lad) and see if they will cut them for you so you can see what is inside. 1/2 a geod with crystals inside would provide a cave with the crystals around the roof and sides... even a 1/4 of a geod would make a great cave. Geods aren't attractive on the outside (Geods also go by the name "thunder egg".

A lapidary supply may also have some stones/crystals that aren't good enough grade for making jewelry or other things due to fractures, but would be great for tank decoration and they may even give them to you for free.

Dave