Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Catfish, Plecos and Loaches

Catfish, Plecos and Loaches Questions and comments about catfish, plecos and loaches.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 AM

Talking My Precious Pleco Punk

why does everyone that has a common pleco only has it for one reason? "to eat algae and clean the tank" but why? they're such cool looking fish. I've had my pleco (punk) in a 50 gal tank by himself since he was just a small baby. i hope im not the only who luvs his pleco as much as his other fish. i even set up the tank just for him that is made up of a sandy bottom, bog wood, river rocks and a cave for him to hide in. although he never really hides anymore.
I really started to luv him when i notice that he reconized me and knew what times i feed him. even knew what part of the tank to wait for the food at. it's more impersive then it sounds. (really!) I dont know how many people come to me with the same problem. "my plecos keep dying on me! i thought all they need is the algae in the tank"
Plecos are not a maid services, they are a wonderful pet you should be happy to have. and no they dont only survive on algae that grows in a tank. (they get bigger then most fish) I feed my blood worms and fresh vegs, like cucumbers. (he luvs cucumbers)
if you ask me, Plecos are some of the coolest fish out there.
if you pay more attention to them, they just might win your heart. (ok that was corney!) but they are pretty cool fish
Old 09-22-2008, 03:43 AM

Default Re: My Precious Pleco Punk

Plecos are indeed cool fish. They can be a pain when they rasp off the surfaces of big leaf plants like swords and knock things around when they start getting big. I always liked having them. I have a friend that breeds Bristle Nose and some of the L category plecos and he swears profound love for them. Have fun with your pleco and keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Pickles, I couldn't agree more! I have a Clown Pleco, and he is the cutest thing....although he is a "poop machine!"

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Punk sounds pretty cool

Good luck with him. Have any pics?
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 PM

I think pleco's look really cool too. I moved my Common Pleco to my 55 gallon and he's grown a lot. I'm going to need a bigger tank.:O

Anthony.

29 Gallon
4 Golden Dojo Loaches
1 Fantail Goldfish
1 Small Black Moor
10 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
1 Male Guppy
10 Gallon
1 Female Betta
2 Corydora Catfish
9 Neon Tetra
2 Ottos
5 Gallon
1 Betta-1 Male
2 Ottos
55 Gallon
1 Red-tailed Shark
1 Golden Chinese Algae Eater
1 Common Plecostumus
1 Green Terror Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Bristlenose Plecostomus
1 Australian Blue Yabbie Lobster
1 Three Spot Gourami
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 AM

plecos are really cool.. i am just getting into them..i didnt know there were so many different kinds, and some that spawned in captivity. since learning this i ahve bought 6 bristlenose plecos (i lose 2 in the storm) so i ahve 4 now..3 girls and a boy, and they have some breeding caves..but no breeding going on
i bought a cool looking tiger pleco for my baby tank.
and i have a huge common in my parrot tank, and a small and med size common in valeries livebearer tank..
they are really cool, and like snails are unlike any other fish and the coolest personalities.

check out this site, they have some stunning pictures of plecos..

http://keruzou.hp.infoseek.co.jp/gallery.html

words are in japanese, but the pictures are still beautiful.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM

I have 2 large Plecos (8 inch) in my community tank. They really hang out together and get along fine. I keep hearing Sharon say that they are Poop machines. My LF guy told me he got rid of his when they were more mess that they were worth. The tank is a 55 gallon community tank. with some clown loaches, silver dollars, 1 angel, 3 geophagus and some corry's. When should I downsize to smaller ones. The tank stays pretty clean.

Judie

39 gallon...2 Kribs
39 gallon...2 Geophagus 1 Angel 5 Clown Loaches 3 Silver Dollars 1 Pleco 3 cory cats
39 gallon...8 African Cichlids 2 Cory Cats
39 gallon...1 Geophagus 3 Silver Dollars 2 Corries 1 Pleco 1 Pearl Eartheater
55 gallon...10 Discus and 3 corries
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM

Only you can decide that...................If and when the water quality becomes an issue, it might be time.....................You also have to consider whether the two fish are comfortable and healthy in the confined space.......................................Good luck!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM

They are really healthy and very active. I guess I could trade them for smaller ones at my LFS. I have thought of separating them and putting them in one of my other tanks, but they seem to be buddies. Also my other tanks are smaller. 39 gallon.

Judie

39 gallon...2 Kribs
39 gallon...2 Geophagus 1 Angel 5 Clown Loaches 3 Silver Dollars 1 Pleco 3 cory cats
39 gallon...8 African Cichlids 2 Cory Cats
39 gallon...1 Geophagus 3 Silver Dollars 2 Corries 1 Pleco 1 Pearl Eartheater
55 gallon...10 Discus and 3 corries