Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Invertebrates

Invertebrates Questions and comments about invertebrates.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 PM

Default Ghost Shrimp?

I'm thinking about getting a ghost shrimp, and I've done some research about them, but there are some things I haven't been able to find/want to double check. Firstly, has anyone had any luck in keeping them in soft, neutral water? Also, what is the minimum tank size for them? Would they be okay with a male Betta and 5 platies (If not he'll get his own tank). Are they better singly, in groups, or in pairs? Do they need a filter and a cycled tank, if the water they get is transferred from one that is already like that? How often should they be fed, and how much? Would they be okay decor-wise with some gravel on the bottom and some silk plants, or would something else be better?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Ghost Shrimp?

Ghost Shrimp are easy to keep. Any number and any tank size. Shouldn't be kept with anything that can eat them. Every fresh water critter needs to be kept in a cycled tank. A planted tank live or plastic will do as they need the security of hiding places. They eat anything except poop. Netural soft water is good. Type in "keeping ghost shrimp" in Google for many really informative articles that have far more info than I have given. Also browse thru the past posts in this sub forum for the many posts by our members on Ghost Shrimp.

Last edited by Dano : 09-26-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Every Betta has his/her own mindset towards Ghost Shrimp. I had a Betta that hunted them just for fun and I also had a Betta that would allow them to sit on top of him. If you have some hiding places and space in your tank (how big?), the shrimps will be ok.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 PM

Thanks. The tank with the Betta in it is 10 gallons.