Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Breeding

Breeding Questions and comments about breeding tropical fish

Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Breeding Behaviour

Hello,

Not sure where to post this really, so I apologise cause I mentioned a similar thread elsewhere.

I have a 3 inch male krib and a 2.5 inch female. She is all coloured up nicely and wants to set up home. His colour changes from very colourful on occasions to quite plain. She is spending more and more time in her little pot and he is hanging around and sometimes goes in with her. But should I replace this tiny little 3 inch pot with a bigger 5 inch pot or not. The pot in upside down and only has one hole at the top. should I be witnessing some shaking and shimmying around the pot if they are about to spawn or can this type of 'setting up home' behaviour go on for a while. I hope the reason he is not going in is because it's a little cramped in there. He goes off on excurions quite leisurely and she goes off like she has a very busy day ahead of her and rushes back. Then pokes her head out. They have only been together for a week. I am due a water change in the tank this weekend - I could exchange the pot then if need be. They are sharing their 72 litre tank with four pencils and the remainder of a breeding colony of red cherry shrimp which they have found quite tasty.

Ps. I have seen him going in the 5 inch pot that is in the middle of the tank at the back. This is a spot that has very little leaf cover and is quite bright. should I just leave it to them to sort out - am I fussing too much over them? Probably lol

Thanks
jellygirl

Last edited by jellygirl : 10-03-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: PS - Additional info.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Breeding Behaviour

"A watched pot never boils" Leave them alone and they will do their thing with out you. If alternative breeding sites are avaliable they will choose which suits them. Your big concern should be in maintaining good water quality and a healthy peaceful enviroment.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Breeding Behaviour

Thank you Dano, I'll do the water change tomorrow then and leave well alone.
Thanks